Successively file downloading feature

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
bodich

Successively file downloading feature

Post by bodich »

Hi. Please make successively file downloading feature in preferences. It is necessary for movies downloading. In that case user can watch movie immediately after downloading starts. Thank you! qBittorent has this option (including downloading first and last part of the file first) but I like your app much more and want to use it further. Thank you.
tuxolero

Re: Successively file downloading feature

Post by tuxolero »

There already has been a similar request here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17239.

And I personally think it's not a good idea to implement it, because torrents are a "cooperative community thing", and sequentially downloading files is more likely to harm the so called "torrent health" than downloading the blocks in a more random order.

Seriously ... why are people so impatient ?
bodich

Post by bodich »

tuxolero wrote:There already has been a similar request here: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=17239.

And I personally think it's not a good idea to implement it, because torrents are a "cooperative community thing", and sequentially downloading files is more likely to harm the so called "torrent health" than downloading the blocks in a more random order.

Seriously ... why are people so impatient ?
With this feature I can start watching the movie immediately after starting download. And it is great idea to implement, anyway I will download whole file, I will not download first 10% 10 times. If you are telling me that it will make a harm to torrent, please prove it with detailed explanation why exactly, you can give me a link to detailed article with explanation etc. Your personal idea is only your personal idea, it is not a fact.
blinding

Post by blinding »

OK, imagine there is just the one seed and perhaps 10 peers. Right now the seed sends part 1 to one of the peers, part 2 to another, etc. Those peers share the parts they got with each other.

This means that the initial seed only need to use bandwidth to send one copy. The other bandwidth, to get 10 copies, is the peers sharing parts between them. This is also faster as the peers are sharing parts with each other before the seed as finished sending one copy out. With hundreds of peers this becomes even more effective.

If the seed always started with part 1 then all the peers have part 1. They can't share part 1 between them because each one is already downloading part 1. After it sends ten copies of part 1, taking ten times longer, it can start sending part 2, just as slowly.

Granted, if you are the only guy downloading a torrent, from a single seed, then it won't matter. But typical torrents have dozens of seeds and hundreds of peers. Without sending the parts out of order the whole system will slow to a crawl.
bodich

Post by bodich »

Just imagine, typical movie I am downloading has hundreds of seeds and dozens of peers. And just imagine, I don't turn on this feature if torrent has 1 seed because it does not make a sense if I want to watch a movie right now. Show me screenshot where I am asking to add this feature by default))) What are you talking about, do you understand the request at all? If your religion tells you "don't use this feature", it is only your business... So request is still opened...