Single window mode

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
mroiso

Single window mode

Post by mroiso »

Hi,

I really appreciate your Transmission software because it is not bloated and it is simple to use while pretty complete.

The only thing that I would like to make it totally nice is a single window mode.
Like utorrent, having the torrent inspector not in a floating window but at the bottom of the main window instead (or as an option).

That's it.
I think this is easy to implement in comparison with the work done :)

Best.
mr.hornung

Re: Single window mode

Post by mr.hornung »

i'm not sure if i understand you correctly (english not being my native language) - but if you mean that you would like to have the information of the preferences window in the main window under the download list, i totally second that.
that this is the only thing i miss in transmission, too.
killemov

Post by killemov »

With Shift I have gone the complete opposite route. The main view only shows the list of all the torrents and you have to do some clicking to get to the details of the torrent. Would you consider that bad design? If so or not, then why?
Zaxonov

Post by Zaxonov »

I would love that too! I really don't like the inspector palette
fuga

Post by fuga »

+1 for a unified approach.
Zaxonov

Post by Zaxonov »

I never thought that any palettes in any soft was a great GUI design but for tools in a drawing software like Illustrator or Photoshop that a matter of preferences I guess, but for an « inspector » palette... that's different, IMHO.

From the Macintosh point of view, the « Inspector » palette is an early design in Mac OS X (that maybe comes from NeXTSTEP, I don't remember) that was even dropped by Apple after a while, like the « Drawers ». They only left one in the Finder, I think. Pages, Numbers and Keynote are examples of app in which Apple dropped the Inspector as a floating palette window.

My main issue with palettes, at least on the Mac, is their disappearance when the parent window is not on the front. The second issue is the messy appearance it creates by not being attached to the main window. These two elements can overlap or be too far appart because they're not moving together.

That being said, I don't know how it behaves in GTK+ and Qt.