Request: Download or active only during alternate bandwidth settings

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
CanuckInTheCapital

Request: Download or active only during alternate bandwidth settings

Post by CanuckInTheCapital »

With my ISP I have a limit on my bandwidth usage and if I go over that amount for the month I have to pay extra. One nice thing about them is that they have six hours during the night in which any downloads don't get counted towards the cap. So I have my bandwidth settings set to be fairly limited during the day but fast enough so that anything small gets downloaded quickly. I have my alternate bandwidth settings to be equal to the times in which the downloads are free and I open up the floodgates.

However for the larger files that I download I have to remember to turn them on before I go to bed and to turn them off in the morning. There means that there are a few hours where they are downloading when it counts towards my cap. It would be great if there was a flag that I could set for each torrent that would start the torrent when the alternative bandwidth settings are on and pause the torrent when the alternative bandwidth settings are off.

An additional configuration option could be to just pause the downloading instead of the torrent itself and let it seed anything that has already been downloaded. I would prefer this option but understand that just pausing the torrent would be easier to implement. Plus not everyone has an ISP like mine who doesn't count uploads towards their cap so some people would need the torrent paused.

Thanks for considering this.
Wilson Drake

Re: Request: Download or active only during alternate bandwidth settings

Post by Wilson Drake »

Well that is an easy way out for a very long process out there. But what if after 95% downloading you paused it and the torrent did not resume and all your effort is gone in vain :D