Transfer rate in Kbit/s or Mbit/s option

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
amuso

Transfer rate in Kbit/s or Mbit/s option

Post by amuso »

It would be nice to have an option to set the transfer speed to Kbit/s, preferably with automatic Mbit/s if equal or above 1Mbit/s - instead of KByte/s as per today. This also goes for when setting up-/download speed limits. Easier to control available bandwidth in use by the application.
Jethryn Freyman

Re: Transfer rate in Kbit/s or Mbit/s option

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

I'm pretty sure that Transmission already does this automatically. I've never broken 400KB/sec though, so I'm not exactly qualified to give you an answer here. Can anybody verify this either way?
mezz

Post by mezz »

In GTK+ client, it does change from Kbit to Mbit when it arrives. But there is no option to make it stays Kbit and I see no point to do that, thought.
amuso

Post by amuso »

But there is no option for this in the Mac client? Maybe I should request it in the Mac forum then?
Jethryn Freyman

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

Heh, I must have misread the first post. I think it's just easier to read kilobytes/sec rather than kilobits/sec, since to the average user they're much more useful as it's the same unit of measurement as what the operating system uses to measure file sizes.
Bytec

Post by Bytec »

I would really appreciate an option to switch speed units between Bytes/s and Bits/s.
I think that default should be bits/s because internet connections are also measured (advertised) in bits/s, therefore that would really help to see how saturated your internet connection is. Otherwise you have to recalculate Bytes/s back to Bits/s manually.

After all bits/s is an networking industry standard and Transmission is a network application.

P.S.
I use Transmission 1.76 on Linux NAS box and control it with Transmission Remote .NET.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

Bytec wrote:I would really appreciate an option to switch speed units between Bytes/s and Bits/s. ...
I use Transmission 1.76 on Linux NAS box and control it with Transmission Remote .NET.
You might want to request this bug to the Transmission Remote .NET people. It's a very nice third-party app, but I don't know if its authors read these forums...
Bytec

Post by Bytec »

But does Transmission BT core report speed in Bytes/s or Bits/s?
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

Bytec wrote:But does Transmission BT core report speed in Bytes/s or Bits/s?
It reports speed in bytes per second, but that's just the backend. The GUI can convert that however it wants and show it in whatever units it wants.
Bytec

Post by Bytec »

Thank you for the info.

I made some edits so that Transmission WEB interface shows transfer speeds as bits/s (Kbits/s, Mbits/s, Gbits/s).
My edited JavaScript files can be downloaded here: http://bytec.vitanet.lv/tmp/TBTWeb_bits_per_second.7z

Bits/s or Bytes/s can be switched with speed_in_bits global variable (true/false).
But I haven't added any GUI elements to switch this global variable yet.

I'd be happy to see this integrated into Transmission release if possible. :)
lazybones

Post by lazybones »

I don't under stand why Bytes are the default when all network gear and almost all home internet lines are rated in bits. I hate multiplying everything by 8 to figure out how much of my line I am using up.
lazybones

Post by lazybones »

x190 wrote:
lazybones wrote:I don't under stand why Bytes are the default when all network gear and almost all home internet lines are rated in bits. I hate multiplying everything by 8 to figure out how much of my line I am using up.
Hey lazybones, convert your line speed once (or let speakeasy.net do it for you) and you're done. :wink:

Look at it this way, when noobs go to setup transmission for the first time, often they swamp their network with speed setting that are too high. What advice are they given? Go to www.speedtest.net and check their real speed. Guess what, www.speedtest.net reports speed in megabits as well.

- Internet lines are sold in Mbits
- Network switches, routers, WiFi are all rated in Mbits
- Internet Speed test return Mbits

About the only place you see Mbites used is in the OS.
akio

Post by akio »

This is ridiculous. I can't get a bearing on my download speed because someone decided to go against the grain at some point and make their favorite unit of measurement the permanent default regardless of how acccepted another measurement is already. I'm sure this is a cultural thing. It feels almost like the old issue of standard vs. metric. Except I think I speak for most people when I say I expect that the speed should be measured in KILOBITS not KIBIBYTES ftw. :?
rb07

Post by rb07 »

akio wrote:I think I speak for most people
No you don't.
lazybones

Post by lazybones »

Agreed, I don't care what the default is but I would really like there to be an option to display something else.