local peer discovery

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
grimfandango

local peer discovery

Post by grimfandango »

I've been using Transmission for a few months now, and I'm really missing the local peer discovery feature that was in uTorrent. I was wondering if there's any plans to implement it in Transmission?
Waldorf

Re: local peer discovery

Post by Waldorf »

The official proposal: http://bittorrent.org/beps/bep_0026.html

Sounds interesting.
antikorr

Post by antikorr »

Just wanted to request a feature, which is still not implemented in Transmission. Thought it was requested already and I was right. It's 'Local Peer Discovery'. It's called that way in uTorrent. And it's really useful at least for me, as my ISP provides me with the local retracker for the most popular torrent tracker in Russia, so I'm able to download and share files at the maximum speeds of up to 100Mb/s. And soon they can raise that number to 1Gb/s in some particular districts. And mine is among those lucky ones. So, I would LOVE to have 'LPD' function in Transmission. But since nowadays I cap the speed due to my tariff capabilities, and Transmission doesn't get when the local peer is attached, I still download and upload at the speeds which are not the maximum ones. While on uTorrent I would have been downloading or sharing like a hurricane. :)

Dear Developers, I hope 'LPD' is on your to-do list. And I wish you luck! Regards!

P.S.: This prolix post is actually just a bump for the topic. So that you won't be able to forget about the request. :))))))
Waldorf

Post by Waldorf »

The request is on the todo list on trac ( #1394 ). It's in need of a volunteer to implement it.
antikorr

Post by antikorr »

Waldorf wrote:The request is on the todo list on trac ( #1394 ). It's in need of a volunteer to implement it.
Oh, I see. Thanks for the reply. Hope, volunteer will be found afterall.
Bricktop

Post by Bricktop »

Those ticket (#1934) was closed because of lack of implementation BEP 26 in other clients.

But there is some information about LPD used in utorrent and deluge here

In two words: clients should sending|receiving packets to|from multicast socket 239.192.152.143:6771.

Packet format is:

Code: Select all

BT-SEARCH * HTTP/1.1\r\n
Host: 239.192.152.143:6771\r\n
Port: <myport>\r\n
Infohash: <infohash>\r\n
\r\n
\r\n
And this is how it implemented in other bittorrent library here

If implementation of it is not very difficult, I think it could be added in todo list.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

Bricktop: how are you at C? Would you be interested in doing a patch for Transmission to add this? I'd be happy to use a good patch for this...
Bricktop

Post by Bricktop »

Sorry to say it, but I never wrote on C. I can only read C-code not fast.
Eszet

Post by Eszet »

Jordan wrote:Bricktop: how are you at C? Would you be interested in doing a patch for Transmission to add this? I'd be happy to use a good patch for this...
I have a Local Peer Discovery patch cooking, which I'd like to contribute to Transmission.
With the help of this thread, it was not too difficult to come up with a clean and straightforward implementation of the protocol.

It is now possible for uTorrent and Transmission clients to discover local peers broadcasting on the same network - at least that's what I tested. For distributing large files among several host on the local net, this is quite a nice option to have. And with Transmission's new feature, it doesn't matter for a local machine if it's a Linux or a Windows box.

The patch is in sync with trunk. Where shall I submit it?
Longinus00

Post by Longinus00 »

Eszet wrote:
Jordan wrote:Bricktop: how are you at C? Would you be interested in doing a patch for Transmission to add this? I'd be happy to use a good patch for this...
I have a Local Peer Discovery patch cooking, which I'd like to contribute to Transmission.
With the help of this thread, it was not too difficult to come up with a clean and straightforward implementation of the protocol.

It is now possible for uTorrent and Transmission clients to discover local peers broadcasting on the same network - at least that's what I tested. For distributing large files among several host on the local net, this is quite a nice option to have. And with Transmission's new feature, it doesn't matter for a local machine if it's a Linux or a Windows box.

The patch is in sync with trunk. Where shall I submit it?
You should open a new ticket in trac and submit the patch there.
http://trac.transmissionbt.com/newticket
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

Nice, and the patch looks pretty good too.

If this is the type of coding you enjoy, we're looking for someone to implement uTP ... :D
Eszet

Post by Eszet »

I had a quick look into the existing specs. Definitely a nice feature to have and an interesting project... but quite a project. I have some knowledge on networking protocols, but implementing uTP, which seems to be a moving target at that, is a different bag compared to implementing LDS.

I may be able to tell you in the next weeks whether I can channel off enough free time to come up with an implementation, if any at all. But I don't want to sound too negative :wink:
pp_mad

Post by pp_mad »

Sorry, but... I see the post where code was updated.. is now Local Peer Discovery enabled on transmission?
Eszet

Post by Eszet »

The code does not yet show up in the source tree, but it seems the feature might make it into one of the next releases. I just posted a revised patch on Trac, however, if you want to give Local Peer Discovery a try, you have to rebuild Transmission patched with the latest diff attached to the BTS ticket (#3060).
jch

Post by jch »

> we're looking for someone to implement uTP

Are we?