Auto-shutdown

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
melaus

Auto-shutdown

Post by melaus »

It would be great if Transmission can have a auto-shutdown option when all downloads are completed. I want this feature since sometimes when download large files, it might requires few hours or even days until it finishes downloading. It would be great if the option can be added, so when the download finishes, it shuts down my computer and let it rest earlier, instead needing me to shut it down after it has finished download for hours when I know.
rb07

Re: Auto-shutdown

Post by rb07 »

No it wouldn't.

Second: Using it would be 'Hit & Run', which is considered bad torrent etiquette; and

First: Is already there, but obviously you don't know that so forget I ever mentioned it ;-)
AppleRoot

Post by AppleRoot »

rb07 wrote:No it wouldn't.

Second: Using it would be 'Hit & Run', which is considered bad torrent etiquette; and

First: Is already there, but obviously you don't know that so forget I ever mentioned it ;-)
I just registered to make a stand against this type of thinking. This kind of assumptions make me shiver all over.

The way I think about it is:

Downloading isn't working for me when I'm using the computer.
Uploading is working for me when I'm using the computer.

Of course it's less black and white then that but it's just to make my point clear.
I don't like downloading my files at day because I need my download speed for a lot of other stuff. Instead i'm downloading at night.
My upload speed though is a part of my internet connection I hardly need. Sharing I don't mind doing at day at all.

So what I basically require of my downloading clients is that they shutdown at night as soon as my downloads are complete. Just sharing isn't worth spending power costs on.
The next morning I fire up my torrent client and keep it running throughout the day.

With this method I always keep a ratio of 1.3+ (or 130%+), which means I share more then I download.

I've did some searching for this feature in transmission but without any results. Always seeing these kind of comments. While most people actually just want the feature for the same reason I want it. Or students who can't afford a 24/7 bill or even something as ISP restrictions. Shame most people don't see this.

Meanwhile I decided to end my search and say goodbye to Transmission because it's lacking (and apparently refusing to make such an option?) this.
murch

Post by murch »

I totally agreey with appleroot. It's up to the user to choose when to shut down his computer. But this doesn't mean that he won't be seeding anymore.
Maybe besides the option "shutdown when all downloads (or a selected download) is completed" another option could be introduced: shutdown when a 1.X or ore Share Ratio is reached.
adamlogan

Post by adamlogan »

Agree w/ murch who agrees with appleroot, esp with the "when reach ratio" option. I would like to be able to leave my computer to allow an upload speed to reach 2.0 then shutdown.

I'm getting the impression that you can write scripts for any transmission client because of the web interface implementation. The thing is, I don't know what "variable", or if there is even one that implies that a seed (or all seeds) have satisfied so and so upload ratio shutdown the computer. Is it considered that a download has "finished" when I recieve all the bits: 100% downloaded? or is a download finished when 100% is met and ratio is met too?
Last edited by adamlogan on Sat Sep 08, 2012 4:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
adamlogan

Post by adamlogan »

@ x190
Yes, otherwise I would not have bothered to say so. It's a set it and leave it option I am after, very nice when you want to go to bed and are energy conscious, yet still want to be courteous to the bit torrent community. There isn't another feature I can think to ask for really, if well executed, except improvement with the blocklists feature.

Personally I think more transmission users would upload more if they had this option rather than just thinking "it's time for bed bye bye".
rb07

Post by rb07 »

adamlogan
What you and the others that commented on my post fail to see is that the original post didn't mention upload at all, he only wanted to finish downloading and shut down.

If you don't make the difference clear, then why bother commenting. And the details like "I want to upload in the day time, but not over night" are irrelevant.
adamlogan

Post by adamlogan »

@rb07

I think I get where you are coming from now. You are concerned that the op's request is encouraging hit & run behavior. There is merit to that, but shutting down when a download finishes does not necessarily mean that the download is removed from the list. Next day, user can get on open up transmission and seed, or next time the user goes to download something it will download & seed simultaneously. I've been using bit torrent so long that "finished download" to me automatically translated to completion of downloading and satisfying seed ratio. I figured the Op was new to bit torrent or just not explaining clearly, so I was trying to get and idea of what he meant by "finished download" but also I wanted to know if Transmission can distinguish between "finished" in terms of 100% of bits received and "finished" in terms of satisfying seed ratio, if it can't writing a script would prove difficult, if it can, easy.

I appreciate bit torrent etiquette and follow it to what I think is acceptable. I don't think this feature request is unreasonable, it would certainly mean more seeding time on my end since I wouldn't just shutdown and upload/download only when I'm using the computer during the day.
Cryonine

Post by Cryonine »

rb07 wrote:adamlogan
What you and the others that commented on my post fail to see is that the original post didn't mention upload at all, he only wanted to finish downloading and shut down.

If you don't make the difference clear, then why bother commenting. And the details like "I want to upload in the day time, but not over night" are irrelevant.
What a narrow-minded imbecile.

If the end-user cared about seeding, they will seed. What is irrelevant is seeding in regards to this feature as it doesn't directly affect it in any way, if the user wanted to seed they will at another time, and those that don't, won't.

And this feature does partially exist(though not immediately obvious), and seen as rb07's holier-than-thou'ism preaching he omitted how to access this.
If one goes to preferences->torrents(it's the first tab you should be greeted with), there's an option saying "call script when torrent is complete", of which you can just specify a script to download(based on whatever other conditions you may want etc).
It would be practical to have this as an optional checkbox on both individual torrents(for when that one specifically is done), and a master option in preferences(for when all is done, with a dropbox for ratios if wished by the user), most other clients have these features.

This software is part of community, it belongs to the community, and therefore what the community wants, the community should get regardless of the narrow-minded egomaniacs think.
And if the narrow-minded egomaniacs do not comply, then forking exists, and good times will be had by all(other than the narrow-minded egomaniacs :)

To the rest of you, I hope you find what you need, and do not be put off by people like him, they're a minority who should simply be shunned.
killemov

Post by killemov »

I don't fully agree with rb07. But I do think he has a valid point with his hit and run remark. Screaming about it and calling someone egomaniac does not help anybody.

Personally I think we all win if we all got cheap and green download boxes such as a NAS or Plug computer. http://plugapps.com/index.php5/Portal:Hardware

I have one running 24/7 for almost two years now.
freshtutorial

Post by freshtutorial »

You can easily shutdown transmission with the help of your custom script. Its easy. Just execute the script then you are done. More Information at Here---> http://freshtutorial.com/enable-auto-sh ... ipt-linux/
supernano

Post by supernano »

Install sentinella. It monitors your network activity and shuts down system when say, your download speed is below a certain threshold for 5min…
fn002449

Post by fn002449 »

I wrote a script that is doing the things you want.

Code: Select all

# Shutdown tranmission and eventually NAS
count=$(transmission-remote --auth username:password --list | sed '1d;$d' | grep -v Done | wc -l)
if [ $count -eq 0 ]; then
    transmission-remote --auth username:password --exit
    sleep 10
    sudo -h shutdown now
fi
You have to call the script by the 'after download' option build-in in transmission. How this works is explained here http://freshtutorial.com/enable-auto-sh ... ipt-linux/
Vasilis_K

Post by Vasilis_K »

Is it THAT difficult to implement that feature, instead of expecting the users to write scripts? Gosh!