RSS feeds

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
kawazoe

RSS feeds

Post by kawazoe »

I recently switched from Vuze 4 to Transmission and there's one feature that I'm missing witch is the ability to automatically download torrent from RSS feeds. It's not a big deal and, I must say that I worked without it for a long time. But it still can be useful so may you put that one on your long therm feature list please?

Jordan
Transmission Developer

Re: RSS feeds

Post by Jordan »

RSS feeds are not likely to ever be a supported Transmission feature. However there are a couple of third-party "Helper" applications for Transmission that support RSS. Link
frandavid100

Post by frandavid100 »

Jordan wrote:RSS feeds are not likely to ever be a supported Transmission feature.
That sounds quite final, but may I ask the reason? RSS watching is probably the only feature I miss from other bittorrent clients.
bmcclure937

Post by bmcclure937 »

I was also curious why it is so deadset that RSS will not be a future enhancement.

I have really been interested in this for some time, hoping it would be released. Recently I began to look into this even more and it seems like there are endless possibilities available using RSS in combination with BitTorrent. (such as scheduling TV shows to DL, etc). I am sorry... I love Transmission and it has to be my favorite BT client for my Mac, but I might have to venture out and try alternatives that offer RSS.

Your 2 main competitors for the Mac (uTorrent and xTorrent) both offer this functionality... I was really hoping the dev team for Transmission would see it as a great expansion opportunity!
k33l0r

Post by k33l0r »

I'm also curious why feeds are such a big no-no for Transmission, they're pretty much the only feature that's preventing me from switching to Transmission (and I'm using Arch Linux so none of the helper apps would be of any use).
Slax-Dude

Post by Slax-Dude »

I use a headless pc with Slax (Slackware based live-distro) + transmission + watchdir-script + flexget and it works quite nicely, although I would very much prefer that the rss-feeds were handled by transmission.

Flexget needs python + some other deps, but gets the job done when you configure it right.
bobu

Post by bobu »

Just wanted to give another vote for RSS in Transmission. I use Azureus right now and, unfortunately, will have to until RSS feeds are supported in Transmission. I use RSS a little differently though, so it appears the options on the links page won't work for me. I browse the RSS feeds to look for things I'm interested in (not just TV shows) and then download *from* the RSS feed. It's soooo much faster than visiting the sites and, after having used it for a couple years, there's no way I can do without it.

The problem is that, otherwise, I hate Azureus. Please implement RSS feeds (similar to ScaneRSS in Azureus) so I can get rid of the blue frog. :P
Slax-Dude

Post by Slax-Dude »

bobu wrote:I use RSS a little differently though, so it appears the options on the links page won't work for me. I browse the RSS feeds to look for things I'm interested in (not just TV shows) and then download *from* the RSS feed.
Well... you don't really need RSS support in transmission to do that. Just open firefox and point it to the feed and browse away :)

It would be nice to see a link in the webpage to flexget so us linux transmission users can have some options like the mac users
blizzeye

Post by blizzeye »

I'm trying to move from utorrent to transmission, but, as many other people here, the rss-feed download option is really something that I would love to have in transmission. So I started working on integrating transmission with a tvrss-watch-daemon I found on the net (http://bitbucket.org/blueluna/transmiss ... /wiki/Home). I changed transmission so that you could add/delete series-to-download through the interface of transmission instead of having to go through some terminal or edit some textfile. I use the feed from tvrss to find the correct series/torrents. Really easy to use if I must say, but it's still in it's early alpha status :). It's not compatible with IE at all since I use firefox myself. And I built the daemon to work in Linux, so I have no idea if it works in Windows/Mac os X.

I'm still working on a couple of things, like when the download completes, it moves the episode to a specific serie-download-folder instead of a general folder. But if anyone wants to have the code and mess around with it, just give me a PM.
frandavid100

Post by frandavid100 »

A word from the devs about the issue would be nice.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

frandavid100 wrote:A word from the devs about the issue would be nice.
There already is one, at the top of this thread ;)
frandavid100

Post by frandavid100 »

There already is one, at the top of this thread ;)
But you never gave a reason. Considering how many people expressed their interest in this feature, you might at least tell us why you're against it.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

We have said many times in many threads. Please do a search.
Slax-Dude

Post by Slax-Dude »

Just use flexget (http://flexget.com).
It would be nice to see this in transmissions' link page, since flexget posted links to several TB clients that work with it (transmission is in there) on their webpage.
frandavid100

Post by frandavid100 »

Hi,

I tried to PM you but it seems you have private messaging disabled, so I figured this would be the best place to do it.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I understand your reasons for not including RSS watching. Please keep up your extremely good work with Transmission!