Prefer uploaders

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
teepee

Prefer uploaders

Post by teepee »

Would it be possible to prefer uploaders on upload speed? Especially on large, popular torrents this could radically increase the throughput.

Example:
I, host A and host B have all partial download (let's assume for example's sake that the parts don't overlap).
I receive 25 KB/s from host A and 150 KB/s from host B.
Transmission should limit my transfer rate to host A on host B:s expense. This would motivate host A to increase his output rate.

Maybe some kind of a percentage system would be in place: f.ex. Transmission would limit each host's upload rate to 150 % of the experienced download rate. This setting could be user configurable (on/off, percentage). This way we would support seeders, not leechers. And of course, when I have the complete download, the limit would not be in place (150% of zero is zero).

I also wish more logic on the source selection: especially a source with hundreds of peers seems to be downloading slower on Mac's Transmission than on Windows' Azureus. Maybe the slow sources should be dropped more aggressively and new, faster sources sought?
Jor

Re: Prefer uploaders

Post by Jor »

I second this proposal.

However, peers without much data should not be discriminated, so i have following additions to this suggestion:

- don't modulate upload to peers that have less than $USERADJUSTABLE Percentage of data, regardless if they choke us.
- prefer upload to peers who are not chocked on the expense of peers who are chocked
-> up to the point of chocking peers who choke to prefer peers who do upload if the total upload limit is reached.

If possible, such a system should be applied slowly and only if a peer's chokiness has been monitored over a certain period of time
(e.g. $USERADJUSTABLE Minutes) and make all of this optional to be enabled by the user via preferences.
GhostByte

Re: Prefer uploaders and guys never let us download

Post by GhostByte »

I don' t know if I am at the right place, but
I would like to have the possibility to throw out the guys who
are just uploading and never share what they already own
GhostByte :evil:
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Re: Prefer uploaders

Post by Jordan »

Locking this duplicate thread. Please post replies to this thread instead.