Speed Limit by TOTAL (Up + Down) Bandwidth

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
NitricJerkSud

Speed Limit by TOTAL (Up + Down) Bandwidth

Post by NitricJerkSud »

Hi.

My server is hosted in a CoLo site, and I purchase bandwidth by the megabit on a 95 Percentile basis. Long story short, if I buy 1 megabit, I can use up around 100k a second, in either direction, at any time throughout the day, with an allowance for brief peaks of 90 minutes per day.

My problem is, some Torrents are being seeded, and some are being Leeched... But I can't seem to set Transmission optimially -- to use precisely 1Mbit *TOTAL* bandwidth (Up + Down).

If I set both to 50k/sec, there are times when I'm not downloading anything, and I'm wasting the other 50k/sec. Alternately, if there are no peers downloading my hosted torrents, I'm only downloading at 50K/sec, making things take twice as long as they need to.

In order to try and balance these two situations, I could set BOTH to 100k/sec -- at the risk of blowing my quota, and being subject to expensive overage charges.

In summary, I'd like a feature in Transmission where the Upload AND Download speeds are limited to a set speed, and Transmission decides how best to use that bandwidth, setting it equal when there is activity in BOTH directions, and allowing downloads to happen faster when there's very little uploading going on, or uploads to happen faster when there's very little downloading going on.

Thx.