Fragmentation of downloaded content

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Re: Fragmentation of downloaded content

Post by Jordan »

Probably the most important thing to do is to research into your particular platform and see what (if any) preallocation approaches actually are supported by the platform. This might be a question that you could ask of the platform vendors if they have a responsive tech support staff.
hdfan2

Post by hdfan2 »

Yes, I understand it's the best place to preallocate THE WHOLE file before starting download. However, in this case starting bit torrent (say, 20 or even 100 Gb) will take HOURS on our weak hardware (and I'm not exaggerating!). I think this is unacceptable. My idea was to distribute this process over the whole time of download. Well, actually, in whole it will take the same time, but there wouldn't be a very annoying delay in the beginning. Also, if you will decide later to cancel download, you'll save this time. So, I wanted to find a place where a new chunk begins downloading, and insert my disk filling code here.
Iznakurnog

Post by Iznakurnog »

:idea: I think it would be best to have that as user option nevertheless .... I mean for example preallocation:3 for preallocation by chunks and preallocation type 4 for preallocation of WHOLE files ....
Personally me not scared at all of such long dealy (I assume it will be maximum 0.2-1.5 h for torrents of 30-100 Gb at NAS) I woluld prefer WHOLE file preinitialization ....
Please somebody write the patch for that extremely useful enchancement.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Hi,
I'm using a WD MyBook World Edition NAS plus Transmission 1.5.1 to download video files. It's running a Linux-based OS. I also met the problem of file fragment. The transfer rate of the file from NAS to PC is very low.
When I use MLDonkey as the downloading client, there's no file fragment issue. The transfer rate of the NAS is normal. So I think maybe we can refer to the preallocation scheme used by MLDonkey.
In MLDonkey, the downloading file is stored in a temporary folder and it seems the preallocation process doesn't take a long time.
I am not a good player of Linux, all the above is what I have seen through using the NAS+Transmission+MLDonkey. Hope it will be helpful.
Iznakurnog

Post by Iznakurnog »

Steven
There is good solution for the the problem already ...
everyone who suffer from fragmentation can try and test special patch for file zero-padding preinitialization
http://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/2196
Don' t forget to set preallocation:3 in settings.json
super-poussin

Post by super-poussin »

readynas version will be available today on readynas forum in dev section based on last 1.72 Thrunk

:)

people can stay with preallocation set to 1 or 2 cause I use the patch
serdaruysal

Post by serdaruysal »

Hi all,

I have the same the problem for last days, i read all the articles and really did'nt understand anything. I have DNS-315 and i only want to use transmission-daemon but program con not started bacause of fragmentation. I downloaded the fdlimit.c, preallocate.diff, transmission.h in the same directory in my nas server hdd volume_1. i searched internet but nothing find how to install these patches, what i have to do?? please help, which command i need. sorry about this questions but i am not a programmer...