Skip verify local data

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
ravidgemole

Skip verify local data

Post by ravidgemole »

This may seem counter intuitive, but I think it would be nice to be able to skip the verification of local data step. I have several large (>100GB) torrents that I am either downloading or seeding, and it's painful to watch my hard drive get pegged and slow down the rest of my machine whenever I turn on transmission. This can also create a nasty block at times, where if I turn on my computer/transmission and leave, then I'll have a bunch of torrents waiting to verify their local data because the large torrents are taking so long.

Doesn't have to be a global setting: can default to verifying the local data, but give the option in the context menu to skip that step.
Cheule8472

Re: Skip verify local data

Post by Cheule8472 »

I'd love this feature too, it's not really apparent on small downloads but as previously mentioned, if you have a large torrent it can literally take hours to get other queued torrents started.
gvsteen

Post by gvsteen »

I really like transmission but it really annoys me when my computer crashes while downloading large torrents.

Probably like the previous poster, after a crash I would just like to "verify recently downloaded local data".

How difficult would it be to include such an option?
gvsteen

Post by gvsteen »

Would it not be possible to apply "a quick fix" after Transmission crashes. E.g. could the last few Megabytes downloaded not be removed off automatically after a crash? Or are the last few Megabytes downloaded always unknown when Transmission restarts??
tedrogers

Post by tedrogers »

Yes, I'd like to be able to skip verify too.

I just accidentally selected all my torrents and accidentally chose to verify them all...wish I could cancel this but there is no obvious way!

Please incorporate it soon.

Thanks.
shawnbon206

Post by shawnbon206 »

tedrogers wrote:Yes, I'd like to be able to skip verify too.

I just accidentally selected all my torrents and accidentally chose to verify them all...wish I could cancel this but there is no obvious way!

Thanks.

Lol I did that once just to see what it did, took a few hours, so I just left the house. It shouldn't be in preferences tho, it should only be a "Cancel" Button

But if you ask me, if it was caused by a crash, you're going to have to do it after you finish the torrent anyways....
tedrogers

Post by tedrogers »

shawnbon206 wrote:
tedrogers wrote:Yes, I'd like to be able to skip verify too.

Thanks.

Lol I did that once just to see what it did, took a few hours, so I just left the house. It shouldn't be in preferences tho, it should only be a "Cancel" Button

But if you ask me, if it was caused by a crash, you're going to have to do it after you finish the torrent anyways....
Absolutely....after a crash I would want that to happen.

But let's face it, how often does your Linux installation just crash! Rarely for me. :)

I hope they can implement this simple feature.
shawnbon206

Post by shawnbon206 »

I admit I have been stuck on this a few times, espeically when multiple crashes come while downloading torrents (it happens more often than it should...)

So I this is what i think is the most appropriate solution:

It should be a window popping up on the startup of transmission after a crash asking wether or not you want to verify. The window should also warn the user that bypassing "verify local data" is highly unrecommended, but also inform them they can get to it via the menu later. Maybe the window should be with a "do not show this again" check box, defaulting to normal if it has been checked. If the user wants it to reappear again they can "reset all alerts"

:P
tedrogers

Post by tedrogers »

Your suggested implementation makes perfect sense. I agree.

There was a transmission update the other day, and I *hoped* that this feature would be in there...but sadly not. :cry:

Oh well...fingers crossed for the future.
ravidgemole

Post by ravidgemole »

*bump* Haven't seen any movement on this or a reply in a long time.

Thanks!
tedrogers

Post by tedrogers »

That's because they ain't added the feature yet! :)

I'm using deluge now as a result. It's slower, but far fuller featured.
Longinus00

Post by Longinus00 »

This is coming in version 2.0 but if you guys are feeling courageous you can head on down to my github (http://github.com/Longinus00/transmission) page and try out an implementation of this. You'll want to build the LazyVerify branch but be warned it doesn't have any gui feedback yet. Merge LazyVerifyGui to get a very preliminary webui update.

There are many additions in the code but there are two major things of importance.
  1. If you start transmission without a drive plugged in, running torrents no longer zero their progress and set the dirty flag right away. (that was pretty mean...) Hopefully you can plug in your drive or whatever and be on your merry way. Trying to start a torrent twice without any data will cause the progress to be reset like before.
  2. If your torrents look 'dirty' when starting transmission it will seed and queue torrents for verification slowly (one at a time).
I can't be held accountable for any data and/or private trackers accounts you may lose as this is in development but if you find bugs I'd like to hear about them. :p
tedrogers

Post by tedrogers »

This is very promising...thank you for the update :)
starmoon

Post by starmoon »

need made local data verify more smart
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

Here's the ticket for a related feature:

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/2955

If you know C, you can help by writing up a patch to add this feature.