reporting another IP(local) to the tracker

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
overlook

reporting another IP(local) to the tracker

Post by overlook »

Can you add a setting for reporting another IP to the tracker?
My provider , Fastweb, in Italy) is a big LAN and I need to report my
IP LAN to en external tracker for changing with the other Fastweb
customers.
Last edited by overlook on Thu May 15, 2008 11:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
overlook

Post by overlook »

this function is very important for fastweb users in ITALY.
love transmisson,last nightly work fine.

regards

Nino
macshodan

Post by macshodan »

I second this request, as a fastweb user too myself, would be the most killer feature ever!
overlook

Post by overlook »

macshodan wrote:I second this request, as a fastweb user too myself, would be the most killer feature ever!
consider this please
rebus

Post by rebus »

that would be very very much appreciated
Taskman

Post by Taskman »

I don't think this "feature" is going to be implemented anytime soon, and it certainly won't appear in the form of an extra textbox located somewhere in the Preferences.

Consider getting a decent ISP instead, one that offers a real connection to the Internet.
fmf

Post by fmf »

Taskman wrote:I don't think this "feature" is going to be implemented anytime soon, and it certainly won't appear in the form of an extra textbox located somewhere in the Preferences.
Me too.
I'd really like this feature, doesn't care if I have to modify an hidden preference in some deep, dark, wet cave with alligators ditch's around.
I (we all) Just need it with a little documentation on how to make it work. :)

Taskman wrote:Consider getting a decent ISP instead, one that offers a real connection to the Internet.
For me, that's not a matter of choice. Plain and simple: I can have that ISP or I can be offline.
Or better, I still can have 56k PSTN modem, but you'll agree on how bad it would be, don't ya? :(
Taskman

Post by Taskman »

fmf wrote:For me, that's not a matter of choice. Plain and simple: I can have that ISP or I can be offline.
Or better, I still can have 56k PSTN modem, but you'll agree on how bad it would be, don't ya? :(
Telecom Italia? :shock:
fmf

Post by fmf »

Taskman wrote:
fmf wrote:For me, that's not a matter of choice. Plain and simple: I can have that ISP or I can be offline.
Telecom Italia? :shock:
I live in a small village and Telecom Italia don't give use ADSL, because they have issue on the exchange.
As I told, I just have PSTN connection.
Or, in the last few days, Fastweb who decides to invest some money on us poor cavemans.
Consider yourself lucky not to live in Italy right now...
Now do you understand why I'm so interested on this feature to crosspost? ;)
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

Taskman wrote:Consider getting a decent ISP instead, one that offers a real connection to the Internet.
There are some countries that maintain a monopoly on the services so there's not much you could do when there's only one or two providers that serve your area (or country). And, trust me, I really doubt people would move from their location just to be able to fix it :P

At least on my side of the world there's only one ADSL and one Cable provider.

But I'm just saying, I'm not having such issues for now ^_^
Taskman

Post by Taskman »

fmf wrote:Consider yourself lucky not to live in Italy right now...
Acutally, I am from Mantova.

Just FYI, Fastweb usually leases connections from Telecom Italia. If you really wanted to switch provider, they could just let you in.
fmf

Post by fmf »

Taskman wrote:
fmf wrote:Consider yourself lucky not to live in Italy right now...
Acutally, I am from Mantova.
ROTFL!
I live near Turin.

Taskman wrote:Just FYI, Fastweb usually leases connections from Telecom Italia. If you really wanted to switch provider, they could just let you in.
AFAIK, Fastweb is planning to cable our village with fiber to the exchange and then provide adsl with the twisted pair in the last mile.
Telecom doesn't provide adsl because our local exchange is connected to another major exchange whis has the so-called multiplexers. I don't really know what those equipments are, but I know for sure they block adsl services.
It's almost a year that I'm fighting to have adsl at home, Telecom is not interested because costs will be higher than incomes.

I'll quit to speak here about this issue, it's quite off topic.
If you want more information or you like to discuss on this topic you could send me a PM or a mail me at effemmeffe@gmail.com, I'll be glad to tell you what I know. Maybe in Italian, I'm sure I will explain myself better. :)

About the topic here, are you a Transmission developer or something? Is there anything I can do to increase the possibility to have this feature in the future?
Thanks.
Taskman

Post by Taskman »

I contributed 2 lines of code since the project started IIRC.

Your best bet: wait for DHT and local peer discovery to be implemented in Transmission. :)
fmf

Post by fmf »

Taskman wrote:Your best bet: wait for DHT and local peer discovery to be implemented in Transmission. :)
I read about DHT,how can that feature help me in this case?
I don't know what local peer discovery is, even if I can imagine from the name. Is not exactly what I was asking?
And how can I be posted on further developement?
Thanks.
Taskman

Post by Taskman »

It would query other known Fastweb users and see if any of them can be used as sources for the torrent you are trying to download.