DNS resolution and Proxy settings

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
assembler

DNS resolution and Proxy settings

Post by assembler »

It would be nice if there was an option to allow DNS resolving through proxy, so we could use TOR hidden trackers with URLs ending in the .onion pseudo-TLD.

I think that kind of trackers will be more popular in the near future and their hostnames can't be resolved by regular nameservers outside the TOR network.

What do you think guys? It would be very hard to implement that?

assembler
Last edited by assembler on Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
assembler

Re: DNS resolution and Proxy settings

Post by assembler »

I have found a workaround for this. In Mac OS X, with Vidalia Tor client you can use the built-in Polipo HTTP proxy instead of the SOCKSv5 proxy and then domain names are resolved by the Tor network.

Just use 127.0.0.1:8118 as an HTTP proxy instead of 127.0.0.1:9050 as a SOCKSv5.

Anyway, since SOCKSv5 supports remote DNS resolution it could be interesting to have this functionality with Transmission.

----
assembler
jch

Post by jch »

assembler wrote:Anyway, since SOCKSv5 supports remote DNS resolution it could be interesting to have this functionality with Transmission.
Excellent point. Please file a bug on trac.transmissionbt.com and assign it to me (jch).

--Juliusz "Polipo" Ch.
jch

Post by jch »