Specify outgoing port range

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
ithrowpicks

Specify outgoing port range

Post by ithrowpicks »

I am requesting the ability to specify the outgoing ports range Transmission-daemon uses. This would allow me to better assign low QoS rules within my router.

Currently I have the entire port range (0-65535) enabled on my router because Transmission is running on my DNS-323 NAS. I thought that since Transmission is the only app that connects to the internet from my NAS that this would be a decent solution but I've noticed that sometimes my router just assigns the wrong priority to things because (this is my educated guess) it thinks some other application is running and not bittorrent traffic on a certain port. Or maybe my router just can't keep up sometimes with all the connection requests from torrent traffic, Xbox Live, PC games, Youtube, etc that happen simultaneously on my home network.

I did a quick search of the boards before posting it seems someone else requested something similar some time ago
http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtop ... ts+#p32680
wouroo

Re: Specify outgoing port range

Post by wouroo »

This feature would be essential I believe in order to be able to apply QoS to connections made by Transmission.
Unless there is already a way to achieve QoS ?

I noticed that when i am seeding a file, even though I selected a non-random incoming connection on a given port in the settings, connections used to transfer data to the leecher(s) will be using another port on my side. How is this port number being assigned at the moment ?

My firewall is blocking incoming connections on other ports than the one i dedicated to transmission.
ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Certainly would be a handy feature for me as well.
lazybones

Post by lazybones »

If you want to perform QoS on a dedicated transmission box just flag the devices IP. Normally consumer routers only shape outgoing connections that pass from the local network to the wan
Interface so it should not impact anything locally accessing the server.
ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Having the ability to specify the outbound port range is the only real solution.
ertyu

Post by ertyu »

x190 wrote:
ertyu wrote:Having the ability to specify the outbound port range is the only real solution.
Have you seen the following trac tickets?

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/2134
https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/776
I have now, doesn't really change my request.
enedene

Post by enedene »

Same here. That option would really improve traffic shaping capabilities.
Wowbagger

Post by Wowbagger »

It's not just for QoS - paranoid people like me want to have our firewalls configured to identify unknown incoming probes and log them - possibly even blacklist them for a time.

If I cannot tell Transmission to only use the range of ports I've told the firewall about, a lot of clients will be given "bad" ports and be detected as probes by the firewall.

I used to use TorrentFlux and it had this very feature, but since TorrentFlux is no longer supported, I wanted to move to Transmission - but for me, this is a show stopper.