SOCKS-5 proxy connections for both tracker and p2p?

Feature requests not specific to either the Mac OS X or GTK+ versions of Transmission
bitburner

SOCKS-5 proxy connections for both tracker and p2p?

Post by bitburner »

I've been using Vuze because it has proxy connections (BTGuard SOCKS5) for both tracker and p2p connections and I can't stand its GUI. Just wondering if there are any plans for Transmission to incorporate "proxifying" for both tracker and p2p connections? What are the reasons for currently only allowing tracker proxy connections?
jch

Re: SOCKS-5 proxy connections for both tracker and p2p?

Post by jch »

bitburner wrote:Just wondering if there are any plans for Transmission to incorporate "proxifying" for both tracker and p2p connections?
Not to my knowledge.
What are the reasons for currently only allowing tracker proxy connections?
Many people stuck at places where well-known trackers are not accessible use tor to access the trackers, but still do direct connections for data transfer. Fortunately, the DHT has made this technique obsolete, at least in the case of public torrents.

--Juliusz
bitburner

Post by bitburner »

Thanks for the reply. How is it that that the people that try and track us for downloading material actually get our IP address? Through the tracker swarm right?

Just wondering if it would be safe to only use tracker proxy connections (via Transmission) instead of both tracker and p2p proxy connections (like I'm currently using in Vuze)?
bitburner

Post by bitburner »

x190 wrote:bitburner: Would an app. like MacProxy work for you?
I would really like to only use my proxy service for torrents only. It definitely does degrade the speed of downloads and I would not want that to be system-wide. I appreciate your suggestion though... It would be useful in that I could use whatever p2p client I wanted.
jch

Post by jch »

bitburner wrote:Just wondering if it would be safe to only use tracker proxy connections (via Transmission) instead of both tracker and p2p proxy connections (like I'm currently using in Vuze)?
Neither is safe (and whoever told you otherwise is a crook). See http://blog.torproject.org/blog/bittorr ... -good-idea .

Folks, let me state it once again:

BitTorrent is not an anonymous protocol. Hacking in anonymity using proxying is not going to work.

Designing an anonymous protocol for peer-to-peer file transfer is difficult.

--jch
eddd

Post by eddd »

"BitTorrent is not an anonymous protocol. Hacking in anonymity using proxying is not going to work."

Any BitTorrent client can be used 100% anonymously over Tor if you configure it correctly: https://secure.grepular.com/Making_BitT ... e_Over_Tor

The last paragraph of that page provides information on protecting *any* application behind Tor, even ones which don't support proxies.
jch

Post by jch »

eddd wrote:Any BitTorrent client can be used 100% anonymously over Tor
jch wrote:whoever told you otherwise is a crook
I stand by my statement.

--jch
eddd

Post by eddd »

jch wrote:
eddd wrote:Any BitTorrent client can be used 100% anonymously over Tor
jch wrote:whoever told you otherwise is a crook
I stand by my statement.

--jch
Then you're an idiot. Read this:

https://trac.torproject.org/projects/to ... arentProxy

Now explain to me how that procedure is flawed. If you can't, then your statement can be disregarded as ignorant FUD.
laissezfaire

Post by laissezfaire »

eddd wrote:"BitTorrent is not an anonymous protocol. Hacking in anonymity using proxying is not going to work."

Any BitTorrent client can be used 100% anonymously over Tor if you configure it correctly: https://secure.grepular.com/Making_BitT ... e_Over_Tor

The last paragraph of that page provides information on protecting *any* application behind Tor, even ones which don't support proxies.
Yeah when I first skimmed this thread I thought, do these guys know about tsocks? (It's supposed to socksify anything launched in a given terminal window, but I've yet to get it working with my Linux distro.. long story so I'll spare you that.) Then I read what you pointed us to there, and the guy, who runs a Consultancy no less, states:

"I tried wrapping Vuze in tsocks to prevent this problem, but it continued anyway for reasons I haven't figured out."

(which just makes me wonder why I havent the mustered the cajones to sell my half-knowledge as a Consultant also.)

Anyways, tsocks seems promising to me, if I can figure out the configuration properly.. haven't had time to pursue the virtual box thing which that guy linked to in his last paragraph, to which you linked, but maybe soon..

What also came to mind was a summary of sw I've consistently seen near the top of sourceforge.net's popularity/activity rankings:
"ANts P2P realizes a third generation P2P net. It protects your privacy while you are connected and makes you not trackable, hiding your identity (ip) and crypting everything you are sending/receiving from others. Supports swarming multi-sources downloads."
http://sourceforge.net/projects/antsp2p/

But it kind of sounds like a "dark net", which conjures up images of aggressive Enforcers infiltrating and tracking as best they can.. or maybe the whole thing being a Honeypot... though I doubt it given the opensource mission of sf.net... just probably not the content offerings one finds in the BT realm where so much is LEGAL sharing and which we need to point out to the masses (i.e. congresscritters!!)
olk

Post by olk »

I still do not get it. You can get Socks support with Vuze, but not with Transmission?
So it is doable, but nobody can develop it?
jch

Post by jch »

olk wrote:I still do not get it. You can get Socks support with Vuze, but not with Transmission?
Correct. (You can get SOCKS conections to trackers, of course, but not to peers.)
So it is doable, but nobody can develop it?
It's a stupid thing to do, so nobody who actually understands what they're doing is going to implement it.

--jch
awelon

Post by awelon »

I think eddd is right. I heared that somehow (i am not strong in this) you can be annonymous using Torrents.
johndoe32102002

Post by johndoe32102002 »

Please add PROXY SUPPORT back to Transmission. There was NO GOOD REASON to remove features, especially features used by Transmission users. This would be as bad as removing DHT from Transmission.
register88

Post by register88 »

I think it is not work.
if every one use proxy/tor, then how do you know?
where IP you should connect to?
zblack@zsculpt.com

Post by zblack@zsculpt.com »

How is it possible that such a critical feature (PROXY support) was removed from the new version? Transmission is by a wide margin the nicest app available on Mac. PLEASE restore this feature!