Is there a way to skil checking data??

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
JmChile

Is there a way to skil checking data??

Post by JmChile »

Is there a way in transmission to skip the "cheking data" process?
it takes way to long on torrents of 10gb and it really slows down my iMac

does anyone have a solution for this??

thanks
John Clay
Transmission Project

Re: Is there a way to skil checking data??

Post by John Clay »

No. You must let the data verification complete. It only happens once, when adding torrents that are already complete, or creating a new torrent.
Rebel
Banned

Post by Rebel »

I WISH it only happened once! Lately it happens EVERY DAY.
Thought maybe my drive was getting corrupted, so I ran a Disc Genius scan on it, and it found no bad blocks.
Then I deleted several gigs of data to create more continuous free space (there was over 100GB free before I started).

I restarted Transmission 2.10 an hour ago, and it checked the data on a torrent with over 13GB downloaded. So I downloaded and installed v2.04, and when I opened it, the data was checked on a different torrent with over 9GB downloaded (it's still busy checking that data).

:evil: WHAT IS THE PROBLEM?! :evil:
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

Did you start it as a magnet link? Transmission needs to do a check to see what's been done after the metadata has been downloaded. It's just not scheduled until after a pause. The only other time it would require a check would be when Transmission unexpectedly exits or crashes.
Rebel
Banned

Post by Rebel »

I don't use magnets, because I'm not even sure what they're for. I just download torrent files.
Jolly Jimmy

Post by Jolly Jimmy »

I used to have this problem, I solved it by pausing all transfers before quitting transmission.
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

Rebel wrote:I don't use magnets, because I'm not even sure what they're for. I just download torrent files.
The important part of the .torrent file is the info dictionary. This dictionary carries information about the download and the checksums for the entire torrent. A magnet link is just the torrent hash in the format of magnet:?xt=urn:btih:<hash>. It can add extra information but that's the required part. It's enough to allow Transmission to connect to DHT and/or the trackers to find peers and download the the required info dictionary. It's just an alternative to traditional .torrent files.
Rebel
Banned

Post by Rebel »

Since reverting to 2.04, this (data checking) hasn't happened a single time. After the 2.10 update it was happening almost daily when I started Trans. - sometimes twice a day.
I passed on the 2.11 update, since it seems to be working better now, and I don't believe the update addressed the problem.

WOW - I just checked the forum, and it looks like 2.10 has bigger problems than amnesia: Seems to be crashing too - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10671. Glad I downgraded when I did! :lol:

The important part of the .torrent file is the info dictionary. This dictionary carries information about the download and the checksums for the entire torrent. A magnet link is just the torrent hash in the format of magnet:?xt=urn:btih:<hash>. It can add extra information but that's the required part. It's enough to allow Transmission to connect to DHT and/or the trackers to find peers and download the the required info dictionary. It's just an alternative to traditional .torrent files.
I did start a torrent via a magnet link once, just to see what it did. I didn't notice any difference or see any reason why I would choose that method over torrent files, so I stuck with the latter method.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

Rebel wrote:Since reverting to 2.04, this (data checking) hasn't happened a single time. After the 2.10 update it was happening almost daily when I started Trans. - sometimes twice a day.
I passed on the 2.11 update, since it seems to be working better now, and I don't believe the update addressed the problem.

WOW - I just checked the forum, and it looks like 2.10 has bigger problems than amnesia: Seems to be crashing too - viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10671. Glad I downgraded when I did! :lol:
Ah, of course. Now I remember you. Nice to see you're still dedicated to elevating the conversation just as you did back in the days when you posted these classic threads:
  • .95 $uck$!
  • .96 is released. Are you brave/crazy enough to try it?
Looking back at those threads, I see a message from my 2007 self saying that I argued against banning you back in those days. Boy was that naive.
Charles wrote:I wasn't the developer who banned you, and I argued against banning you, and that's all I'm going to say about that.

However, you've very little to defend yourself with in this argument. There were many ways to point out that downgrading to 0.94 was one workaround to the 0.95 torrent corruption bug. Of the many users who pointed this out in the forums, you were the only one who was banned. This is probably because you're the only one who did so by starting a thread named ".95 $uck$!"

Even if we temporarily accept that you were trying to start helpful conversation for the users, it's hard to imagine how a thread called ".96 is released. Are you brave/crazy enough to try it?" could be helpful. Even if 0.96 had been released at the time -- which it wasn't -- there's really no productive direction to take a thread like that.

In short, your posts were flames. Of course they deserved to be shut down -- flaming is unacceptable behavior. Trying to make yourself into a martyr is just embarassing. My advice to you is get a new account, don't tell anyone you were Rebel, and start posting non-flame messages for a change.
Fooled me once, shame on you. Fool me twice... won't get fooled again. Banned.