Download Starts and Stops

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
commanderclif

Download Starts and Stops

Post by commanderclif »

Been using Transmission for a long time now, love it but an annoyance just keeps getting more annoying!

Transmission will be downloading nicely, good speeds then just stop. My entire computer just loses internet function as well as any device on wifi. So I'm thinking its either ISP related (Comcast) or my wifi router (Apple Airport Extreme) or is it something on my computer (MacBook Pro)
If I wait awhile, it eventually starts downloading again, and the rest of the internet functionality comes back to all applications.

If you can provide any help or understanding as to what is going on I would appreciated it. My searching and digging and reading hasn't turned up much. THANK YOU!
benhen

Re: Download Starts and Stops

Post by benhen »

Exact same issue for me, just started in the last few days. Internet is happily chugging along, able to stream iPlayer etc. As soon as I start Transmission, I'm suddenly unable to do anything. It's as if Transmission is completely flooding the network, or somehow stalling the connection with the router.
Even pinging my router suddenly takes 100-300 milliseconds. If I quit transmission, everything returns to normal.

This is really annoying, as I've loved transmission for years. This makes it unusable though.

Anyone any suggestions?
Rolcol

Post by Rolcol »

How many peers have you two set for each torrent and globally? If that number is too high, it may be overloading the router. Also, if the speeds climb too high, that may be too much for the router.
benhen

Post by benhen »

Poking around the forum I suspected that might be the problem, so I tried limiting the maximum connections to 50 per torrent, and only allowing one torrent to run at a time. Same problem still.
I then tried it with only 10 peers, just to be sure. Still the same problem.

The strange thing is that often transmission will still be able to run the actual torrent download, but nothing else like loading a webpage will work (and it's not a bandwidth issue, I've got plenty to spare, and I've used the speed limit to make sure it's not using everything).
benhen

Post by benhen »

Found the problem, although no real solution as yet:

Looking at my router logs, it turns out that the firewall on the router is detecting Transmissions activities as a SYN Flood, and then deciding to block everything at the router level (which explains why other devices on the network loose the internet as well). Annoyingly, I can't turn off SYN protection on the router without turning off the entire firewall service, which is obviously a bad idea.

Fiddling with the obvious settings in transmission, (DHT, uPnP etc) I can't find anything which stops the router assuming a SYN Flood. Anyone know anything that would help here?
jt007m

Post by jt007m »

I've had the same problem as well. Anyone find a fix yet?
commanderclif

Post by commanderclif »

sorry I never came back gang! While not the OPTIMAL fix, here's what I ended up doing. I reduced my Upload Rate to 50. If I put it up to 100, I get the freezes. Sucks but for now seems to be the only way to fix.
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

I realise this is almost 6 years old so won't benefit anyone on the thread, but I was having this exact same problem - I'm even on a MacBook with an Apple Airport Extreme router (although obviously with a different OS). I tried limiting peers and also download/upload speeds, but nothing seemed to work. Then I simply disabled Micro Transport Protocol (uTP) under preferences>network, restarted Transmission, and the problem resolved instantly.

I find the connection drops out again when I get to speeds of around 1.5MB/s, so I have capped it at 1.3MB/s (which I find is plenty) and leave it to do its thing.

Problem solved.