TRANSMISSION 1.54 WON'T launch on OSX.4.11

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
james63

TRANSMISSION 1.54 WON'T launch on OSX.4.11

Post by james63 »

I downloaded Transmission 1.54 OSX.4.11

It will not launch. I placed the app in the applications folder,
placed icon in the dock,
clicked, but it won't open. There are no error messages.
Can anyone suggest how I pursue this ?
I have no tech savvy with software problems and I am groveling for assistance.

regards,
James Brunswick Toronto Canada :?:
lovelyrita

Re: TRANSMISSION 1.54 WON'T launch on OSX.4.11

Post by lovelyrita »

You know, this happens every couple of months now. Though I am using OS X 10.6.7. I end up going through all of the steps you are suggesting every time. And every time the only thing that works is completely disabling all of my libraries/caches, installing a new version of Transmission and reloading all of my torrents. It's incredibly frustrating and time-consuming. I love Transmission but after going through this four times I'm just about to give up. (I'm a archivist and big seeder so it's over 1000 torrents every time.)

Literally, I just come home one day, find that Transmission has crashed and then I can't get it to launch again. Nothing about my OS has changed, nothing about my version has changed - it's just been sitting and running until it dies.

As of yet I've heard no clear explanation for this or anything about whether this is something that anyone is working on.

What's up?
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

No, no devs are working on 1.54 at the moment. That version came out almost two years ago and none of the devs are running it or 10.4.

One thing that might help is if you post a crash report as per the "how to report a bug" sticky but I'm not making any promises about maintaining the 1.5x branch...
fate2012

Post by fate2012 »

me too

2004 Mac Powerbook G4 17inch Aluminum laptop loaded with 2GB Ram, 1.5Ghz, (non-Intel) with Tiger 10.4.11 combo update

note: just did my re-install of the OS in April 2011, then updated the software, but have since about mid April disabled security updates because it scares the heck out of me to auto update anything whether PC or MAC these days

that's how my computer stopped working in the first place is b/c of auto updates like updating Adobe flash or whatever

bought a new HP and don't know wtf is going on in there with windows warning me all the time about updates - feel like filing a harassment lawsuit vs Microsoft or extortion... auto this n that bs take a chance every day that something won't work

this Mac feels like essentially a new computer in my opinion - it surfs great but just needs some DJ music mixing software from years back that can only get by torrent, so then it can be designated in my entertainment room rather than tossed in the garbage

why can't computers that simply used to work great on the web (I used to be able to operate 14 apps at once on this old Mac back in 2005 no less!) - why can't they still have that same kind of speed & productivity

don't tell me to buy a new Mac because I have an iBook with Leopard but it's for my office, and this old Mac should be great for the entertainment/ music side if can get a torrent app working on it is another story