HowTo: Bind to a specific network interface

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
davids

Re: HowTo: Bind to a specific network interface

Post by davids »

I suspect that checking for the ppp0 interface is a lightweight process, but it why is it necessary to check every 10 seconds? If Transmission is already bound to a VPN's IP address by having BindAddressIPv4 and BindAddressIPv6 stored in its configuration file, that means it will not be able to send or receive unless the VPN is operating at those addresses. Therefore, 10 seconds is the maximum time Transmission would not be operable before it is bound to the VPN's IP address and restarted. Waiting a minute or two hardly seem too long. There is a security risk only if BindAddressIPv4 and BindAddressIPv6 haven't been stored before Transmission starts. My concern probably probably reflects having worked extensively with 2 MHz Z80 CPU's. At one time the IBM PC's 4.77 MHz pseudo-16bit CPU (16-bit addresses but fetching data 8-bits at a time) was state of the art!

BTW, it would be helpful if when one clicks on the Clutch icon in macOS's status bar, it displayed Clutch version number.
hbwhite

Post by hbwhite »

[deleted]
Last edited by hbwhite on Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hbwhite

Post by hbwhite »

[deleted]
davids

Post by davids »

Hbwhite,

Clutch v1.3 works great!

Thanks,
David
hbwhite

Post by hbwhite »

[deleted]
ciilo

Post by ciilo »

this is amazing! thank you for your work, it looks to be an elegant solution that is exactly what i was looking for. alas! i'm working on a mac pro that is maxed at 10.11 el capitan and clutch requires 10.13 minimum. could i pay you to make this a script i could implement on el cap? i think i understand what all is happening here but it's just past the edge of my understanding enough that i don't want to try and f anything up! i'm hosting a vpn on the machine in question with os x server while simultaneously a client on another vpn for transmission, thus the binding. i'd gladly pay for your time to build this for 10.11 or for you to adapt the script for me. i'm running an ipsec0 vpn client on en2 (wifi) and serving an l2tp vpn on bond0 (ethernet bonded). thanks for your time!
hbwhite

Post by hbwhite »

Update: This project has been discontinued.