2.60 - Allow incoming connections

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
swabeer

2.60 - Allow incoming connections

Post by swabeer »

Hello,

On OS 10.6.8, I noticed that every time Transmission 2.60 starts, I am asked to allow/deny incoming connections -- which is especially annoying in a non-admin user profile, for which an administrator password has to be entered.

This has been going on for a while with other applications, but not with previous versions of Transmission (recent ones at least).

Do you see this too ?
Last edited by swabeer on Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
swabeer

Re: 2.60 - Allow incoming connections

Post by swabeer »

I am aware of that, Transmission has been registered in OSX Preferences -> Security -> Firewall for a while.
But since I installed 2.60, the popup appears every time Transmission starts.
I am accustomed to seeing this behavior with some other programs (like Vuze), but not Transmission.
teyoung

Post by teyoung »

Transmission has been registered in OSX Preferences -> Security -> Firewall
I am having the same issue. It also happens when logged in as admin, but does not require the password. I removed and readded the app in the Firewall prefs and the problem still persists.

I reverted back to 2.52 and all is well again.
swabeer

Post by swabeer »

teyoung wrote:
I reverted back to 2.52 and all is well again.
Same here.
Jolly Jimmy

Post by Jolly Jimmy »

Same here, Transmission 2.60 now always asks for firewall permission regardless of settings. Back to 2.52 for now.

0S X 10.6.8
Lord of the Rings

Post by Lord of the Rings »

This depends upon whether the devs made the app a 'signed' app. If yes, then it will require approval each time it's opened.

I'm surprised you've never come across a p2p app that has not asked for this before with the firewall.

But on that topic, yes it is highly annoying and I wondered why myself. Some apps do, some don't. Why, when it's already in the firewall exception list. The logic does not quite seem sane.

I doubt the devs will change this behaviour of Transmission with the firewall. It's rather the norm for many/most p2p apps.

Downgrading due to the inspector now being unreliable is a good reason though. :D 40 minutes after a peer has finished downloading from me it finally removes itself from the inspector etc. :D Though I think the inspector issue started with 2.5 or so. Glad the devs like to hear about bugs, my GiF felt insulted so went awol in a previous thread. :D I remember one Transmission update sent my torrents into a horrible mess suggesting I had too many seeds, so I downgraded, cannot remember if that was 2.5 or earlier. I posted here 14 months ago then deleted that thread. I'm sure it's soft-deleted somewhere.

Over-passionate people who enjoy file-sharing can be such a PITA hey. lol :D
Cowicide

Post by Cowicide »

Add me to the list of people where every time I launch 2.60, I'm asked to allow incoming connections even after clicking "Allow" every time. I'm using 10.6.8. Sigh... will be reverting...

wedsjdm

Post by wedsjdm »

I also find this very irritating. When I first started getting the dialog I didnt think it would bother me that much. Boy I was wrong, never thought it would make me research this problem and register in the transmissions forums. How do I revert? Can someone post the link for .52? And now we are at .61 and the problem persists.
wedsjdm

Post by wedsjdm »

nevermind 2.61 has fixed this issue