Transmission not connecting to Peers

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
elpanda

Transmission not connecting to Peers

Post by elpanda »

Hi,

I am using tracker.example.com to find torrent files however within the last few days every time I try to download, Transmission won't connect to any peers.

No settings have changed so I really have no idea what is causing the problem. Any ideas? Anything at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Lord of the Rings

Re: Transmission not connecting to Peers

Post by Lord of the Rings »

Try downloading a 'common' torrent from a well-known torrent site with 'many' seeds. Preferably a small'ish torrent so it's not hard on your bandwidth.

ie: google something that you think might be 'very' highly popular and put torrent on the end of the search criteria. Then try it.

Keep in mind, public torrents need to deal with 'Freeloaders' and 'Hit and Run' leechers (those who do not seed (share the file after downloading it)). Thus some public torrents go dead very quickly in some cases because there are no seeds to continue sharing the file.

An unfortunate situation with torrents is, a rather large percentage of persons believe out of ignorance that the files they are downloading are actually hosted on web-sites, not realising the files are only shared between other file-sharing persons. Such ignorant persons are usually freeloaders/'Hit + Run' users. But of course, some people do it out of arrogance, not ignorance. Not realising the amount of damage they cause or simply not caring.

But if you can find a very popular torrent, especially if it specifies there are multiple seeds online, then if you cannot connect to any peers with it, then chances are you are firewalled.

If you are firewalled and OSX firewall is not to blame, then it will either be a matter of your router's NAT or your ISP (different name in different languages or countries) blocking your program's use. If not connecting from home, then it might be your company or university blocking file-sharing processes.

By the way, if you are using a lowly connection type such as Dial-up mode, then please specify. Dial-up and some low-speed satellite connections will make file-sharing very difficult and slow to initiate connections.
EarlyRiser

Post by EarlyRiser »

Same problem. torrent site claims many seeders. Transmission says "Magnetized Transfer - torrent data needed". The Mac OS firewall is not the cause.
EarlyRiser

Post by EarlyRiser »

Ideas are appreciated
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

+1 Having the same issue :( I posted on this thread as well.
Ryoujin

Post by Ryoujin »

x190 wrote:Are you getting any peers from the tracker, DHT, PEX, or cache? You may need to find a different "tracker.example.com" as the one you are using may be currently inactive.

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/SlowSpeeds
Already tried all the basics, x190. Any test I can provide to help finding the issue?
bluetortilla

Post by bluetortilla »

I have looked for answers for this problem several times in the past and so far the solution that has always worked for me was simply 'restart.' If that doesn't work try restarting the program several times. Seems to work on other clients as well.
Renara

Post by Renara »

I'm having the same problem; I think it started yesterday but Transmission is simply no longer displaying any peers for any torrents, including popular ones that were working fine previously. I haven't change any settings at all, and nothing in my setup has changed, my network is allowing connections and other torrent software works just fine. Trackers are all connecting correctly and displaying large numbers of peers; it's just that none of them are being connected to.

I'm going to try ditching caches and such to see if there's some oddity, but there is no clear cause for this issue otherwise.

[edit]
Looking in the Message Log I'm getting a lot of DHT errors of the type; "DHT Not Ready (Broken, X peers)"

[edit2]
I just trashed my ~/Library/Application Support/Transmission/Resume folder and things seem to be working again as I'm already starting to see peers again. If you want to do the same, make sure to pause all your transfers in Transmission before closing it, then dump (or rename) the Resume folder and then re-open Transmission. Select all torrents and then go to Transfer -> Verify Local Data. It'll take ages but once a torrent has been verified it should be okay to then resume.
Last edited by Renara on Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spio

Post by Spio »

I think I have a solution, I'm not sure 100%, at least it worked for me today.
I've tried restarting the program several times, deleting the prefs from Library, deleting entire program and installing it again, none of it worked.
In the end I checked the box for "Randomize port on lunch" in [Preferences > Network], which is not checked by default and then restarted the program.
beroal

Post by beroal »

I have had a similar issue. Transmission does not download even when trackers report more than 100 peers. I see how peers are connecting and immediately disconnecting from my computer. It seems that ticking "randomizing port" and unticking "use UPnP and NAT-PMP" has solved the issue for me. (It's hard to say definitely because there are many random factors on the internet.) My computer has a global IP address.