Need help reinstall after force quit - Please

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Rick1

Need help reinstall after force quit - Please

Post by Rick1 »

MacPro 10.6.8
Using Transmission v 2.33 (12565) - will upgrade to 2.51 if given a good reason as no problem with this version that was not of my own making today.

With thousands of paused torrents in Transmission, it froze up when I accidentally hit 'Start All' instead of 'Start Selected'.
I had to force quit after waiting hours to see if it would start all without any problem.
Have tried unsuccessfully four times to restart.

When I had to do a force quit for another reason ages ago all of the torrents that had been paused were still paused, and all that had been open were still open when Transmission restarted.

I know the drill to reinstall app after moving the following to backup folder,
~/Library/Application Support/Transmission
~/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.LSSharedFileList.plist
~/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.plist
~/Library/Caches/org.m0k.transmission

delete originals, restart, install Transmission.

I hope to have everything as it was, sorted by color etc. AND make sure Transmission does not try to open with all torrents open to cause it to freeze again.
I don't know know which saved file would cause them to be open on startup, or which makes sure all are are still in separate categories, instead of all torrents lumped together.

My question is... Is there any way to make sure this does not happen?

Thanks in advance for any help with this.
Rick1

Re: Need help reinstall after force quit - Please

Post by Rick1 »

Rick1 wrote:With thousands of paused torrents in Transmission,
That should have said "With thousands of paused seeding torrents" as I am not downloading anything.
Rick1

Post by Rick1 »

Well, I really need help now.
I decided to do everything I know to do.
Save items listed above, etc...
Quit Mac, restart, install Transmission 2.33, open app, delete all new items from Library / application support - both preference files, and caches.
Replace with saved original Torrents, Resume, stats, Transfers, dht.dat, both pref files, and caches.

When I reopened Transmission it was exactly the same as when first installed.
Although all the torrents and resume files are in the Application Support Transmission folder, and all of my Preferences the saved ones, the open app is completely empty, no torrents. :?

Please help by telling me what I am doing wrong.
Rick1

Post by Rick1 »

Well, that isn't the good news I was hoping for, but that's life.

I agree with activating less than 2000, which is why I had so many paused.
The problem was caused by accidentally activating all at once.

Although I will reload torrents manually as you say, will you please tell me which files, or what might be causing the torrents not to load, even though the preferences and stats did?

I think I've always done a clean install when updating to next version, so I have to ask, if I install the 2.61 that I downloaded several weeks ago, without deleting the 2.33 installed, will it install over it or will I have two different versions in applications?

Thanks again for your prompt reply, and patience.
Rick1

Post by Rick1 »

Thanks for the 'usual suspects' information.

When you say "and plist" do you mean all plist files are suspect?
I looked around trying to find out what the 'resume' file is for, because I thought it was as important as folder of torrents, but no luck.

I'm sorry, I did not include all I meant to ask regarding 2.61 installing over 2.33. :oops:
The part I left out was, if it installs over it are all the torrent files in 2.33 now in 2.61, or are they deleted with all the other items such as stats etc.?

Thanks again the prompt reply x190. :)
Rick1

Post by Rick1 »

Thanks for the additional details, and very helpful link. :D

Regarding updating to newest version for security reasons.
I read all the 'Changes' information, but do not see anything about security fixes.
Will you please clarify?
Rick1

Post by Rick1 »

This has been very educational.
I always read only the information in All Platforms, and Mac section, never the GTK+, Qt, Web Client.

Had no idea that 'Fix bug with zero termination of multiscrape strings' had to do with security.

Thanks again for all of your help.