How to set up Little Snitch for Transmission?

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
HandyMac

How to set up Little Snitch for Transmission?

Post by HandyMac »

I recently rebuilt the setup on my Mac, 10.6, and upgraded to the latest Little Snitch (v.3). Now when I open Transmission, which has several torrents in progress, Little Snitch throws up a seemingly endless series of requests to allow both outgoing and incoming connections to various IP addresses and ports. I assume these are other computers involved in the open torrents? This didn't used to happen, though, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I just force quit Transmission after several dozen of these requests from Little Snitch, not knowing how long this would go on. I know I can just make a rule in Little Snitch to allow Transmission to do anything it wants; should I? Or should such a rule be more nuanced?

And I don't remember ever having to do anything like this before in Little Snitch to allow Transmission to do its work. What's changed?

Any help appreciated.
TranTran

Re: How to set up Little Snitch for Transmission?

Post by TranTran »

I'm still using OSX 10.6.8, and I think that Little Snitch (LS) ver 3.3 is the newest that OSX can use.

After using Transmission, my computer started running very slowly. Little Snitch was using a huge amount of memory -- several GB. Then I discovered about 70,000 Silent Mode Connections. I could not delete them all at once, it choked the GPU and Transmission become "not responding." So I had to delete them in many groups, each group locking up my machine for 1-2 minutes.

SO I need to either tell LS to not log anything from Transmission, or be able to turn it off completely. I don't see a way to turn it off without UnInstalling.