sluggish GUI systemwide in Mavericks with Transmission

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
cashFromChaos

sluggish GUI systemwide in Mavericks with Transmission

Post by cashFromChaos »

With Transmission 2.8.2 in OS X 10.9.1 Mavericks I get after some hours a very sluggish machine. I have hundreds of megabyte of free RAM, 300GB free on HD and CPU is not saturated. I haven't checked the VM files yet, but that seems unlikely as I have free RAM.

When this issue appears if I quit Transmission everything is fast and responsive again. The network is never clogged. It's the general response of the machine that goes down with Transmission running for a few hours. This was never the case in Snow Leopard nor in Lion.

I have these limits:

Upload rate: 256kb ( I have 1Mbit out)
Seed Maximum: 12 active transfers
Transfers stall after 30 minutes
Global max connections. 120
Max for new: 40
I prefer encrypted peers and ignore unencrypted.

I connect via OpenVpn with Tunnelblick as the client and with just that running a connection everything is still as responsive as ever.

Anyone else is seeing this in Mavericks? Ideas?
cashFromChaos

Re: sluggish GUI systemwide in Mavericks with Transmission

Post by cashFromChaos »

Thanks for the suggestion but that does not make a difference. The amount of connections or bandwidth has nothing to do with this issue with the WindowServer process using too much CPU.

It's possible this is an OS X Mavericks issue that Transmission is triggering. Whatever the cause, it's only happening when Transmission is running, of all the apps I use. It does not occur when I use network resources heavily or tax my CPU nor when I keep numerous open windows. We need a Mavericks compatible version of Transmission is what I believe.

I'm going to try some nightlies and then if that doesn't improve anything do a bug report.