Transmission won't connect to peers/seeds

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
DelitaHeiral

Transmission won't connect to peers/seeds

Post by DelitaHeiral »

Hi, sorry I didn't know which forum to post this in so I made a thread here as well hoping someone could help me.

I have a problem as the Topic says. Transmission worked fine for a couple of years but months back it stopped connecting to anyone and I've decided to see if there's anything I can do to fix it. Now I can only connect to a small fraction of peers. When I download a torrent with say 200+ seeders, I connect to 4 IF I'm lucky. MOST times however, I get 0/0 and the bar can't even get a magnetized link. Out of 12 torrents, maybe 1 will go through and always with less than 5 seeds. Every torrent I use is listed as having a high number of seeds (100+ at least, usually 300+) so I can't understand why I only get none or a small fraction of those as peers.

Seeding is just as bad. When it can connect, any file I can fully download I can seed to a small handful of people. Before I could download and seed to everyone but now I can barely connect. Most of my files are stuck as "magnets" with red bars. Even if I use a torrent file, I have the same problem.

Can anyone provide any help? I'm using Mac OSx 10.7.5 using the most recent version of Transmission. My port is fine (green lit according to the tab) and firewall isn't giving me any problems. I use Avast Free antivirus and I don't think its the problem because I had it well before any problems occurred. I use a 2Wire modem with an Apple Router.
pvlkmrv

Re: Transmission won't connect to peers/seeds

Post by pvlkmrv »

I am having this exact same problem. If I look at the Trackers under any torrent's properties, I see that all say simply "connection failed" in red text. Even though those trackers are clearly all online, I can get no peers from them.
pvlkmrv

Re: Transmission won't connect to peers/seeds

Post by pvlkmrv »

I fixed it. The issue was a firewall setting on my router. It took some gymnastics (including a router reset to hijack admin privileges from my roommate), but following the instructions in this video and restarting transmission worked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUCGtm2Kso4