Verifying local data via web interface

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Zaff

Re: Verifying local data via web interface

Post by Zaff »

interconnect wrote:So I did a little testing on this last night. I had my machine download a few torrents via RSS automatically but had it sitting at the desktop (screen saver was on) and I observed the very slow verifying. So I guess fast user switching has nothing to do with this. The computer was just at the desktop, with Transmission running, blank screensaver was on at the time. I observed the very slowing verifying state by using the Transmission web interface. I physically went to the machine and brought out of screen saver and torrent immediately verified and started downloading. This bug is even more critical now than before.
Yeah, that's pretty much how it is (was) for me. I'm using uTorrent now until this issue has been resolved. If it ever will.
interconnect

Post by interconnect »

Zaff wrote:
interconnect wrote:So I did a little testing on this last night. I had my machine download a few torrents via RSS automatically but had it sitting at the desktop (screen saver was on) and I observed the very slow verifying. So I guess fast user switching has nothing to do with this. The computer was just at the desktop, with Transmission running, blank screensaver was on at the time. I observed the very slowing verifying state by using the Transmission web interface. I physically went to the machine and brought out of screen saver and torrent immediately verified and started downloading. This bug is even more critical now than before.
Yeah, that's pretty much how it is (was) for me. I'm using uTorrent now until this issue has been resolved. If it ever will.
How do you like it? I gotta switch clients because I can't have this. Does the Mac version have ads?
Zaff

Post by Zaff »

interconnect wrote: How do you like it? I gotta switch clients because I can't have this. Does the Mac version have ads?
Well it's okay. Biggest downside for me is that it's missing the filter function to download into separate folders which I have to use 3rd party software for, which is not optimal at all. Also it's not as good as Transmission to relocate files (if you moved them), so you have to do that manually. So right now I just hope Transmission could fix this (I'm sure it's Mavericks related) bug so I can go back to my favorite client.
interconnect

Post by interconnect »

Zaff wrote:
interconnect wrote: How do you like it? I gotta switch clients because I can't have this. Does the Mac version have ads?
Well it's okay. Biggest downside for me is that it's missing the filter function to download into separate folders which I have to use 3rd party software for, which is not optimal at all. Also it's not as good as Transmission to relocate files (if you moved them), so you have to do that manually. So right now I just hope Transmission could fix this (I'm sure it's Mavericks related) bug so I can go back to my favorite client.
Cool. You might want to look into Deluge too.
cfpp2p

Post by cfpp2p »

Zaff or interconnect

could either of you guys test this unofficial but well tested and stable build:

TransmissionMac27x-pcTMPr14075.zip

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/532#comment:204

It contains one of a couple of possible variations of quickVerify for newly added torrents. Let me know if that helps.

Code: Select all

static bool
quickVerify( tr_torrent * tor )
{
    if( torrentDataExists( tor ) )
        return false;
    tr_cpReset( &tor->completion );
    tor->anyDate = tr_time( );
    tr_torrentSetDirty( tor );
    return true;
}
interconnect

Post by interconnect »

cfpp2p wrote:Zaff or interconnect

could either of you guys test this unofficial but well tested and stable build:

TransmissionMac27x-pcTMPr14075.zip

https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/532#comment:204

It contains one of a couple of possible variations of quickVerify for newly added torrents. Let me know if that helps.

Code: Select all

static bool
quickVerify( tr_torrent * tor )
{
    if( torrentDataExists( tor ) )
        return false;
    tr_cpReset( &tor->completion );
    tor->anyDate = tr_time( );
    tr_torrentSetDirty( tor );
    return true;
}
I'd like to, but what's the deal with this file? I'm all about testing betas, but not if it's not from the official development team.
cfpp2p

Post by cfpp2p »

I'm all about testing betas
It's not beta. It is solid and stable unofficial used by a large group of users. Not in a 'testing' state. What I meant was for you to give it a try to see if this release solved the problem on Mavericks. If we show where the bug is you could submit the bug and patch to the devs on trac and see what they do with it. Here is an up to date full source for you to compile yourself if you so desire. https://github.com/cfpp2p/transmission/ ... /svn/trunk

The posts at https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/532 represent some of the time and dedication, by several people, that went into this build.
but not if it's not from the official development team
That's too bad :(
interconnect

Post by interconnect »

cfpp2p wrote:
I'm all about testing betas
It's not beta. It is solid and stable unofficial used by a large group of users. Not in a 'testing' state. What I meant was for you to give it a try to see if this release solved the problem on Mavericks. If we show where the bug is you could submit the bug and patch to the devs on trac and see what they do with it. Here is an up to date full source for you to compile yourself if you so desire. https://github.com/cfpp2p/transmission/ ... /svn/trunk

The posts at https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/532 represent some of the time and dedication, by several people, that went into this build.
but not if it's not from the official development team
That's too bad :(
The bug report for this has already been created and nothing has been done about it. Unfortunately, for all intents and purposes, Transmission is dead. There hasn't been a new release in a year and apparently development has ceased. I am changing clients.
diamondsw

Post by diamondsw »

interconnect wrote:Also, I originally thought that this may be because of AppNap... So I tried disabling it (Get Info on Transmission app in Applications folder and you can disable in there) but didn't seem to fix it, however I didn't have much time to play with it.
I've been dealing with this exact issue for many months, and disabling AppNap for Transmission resolved it completely. YMMV, but I don't think it will - I really think that's the culprit.
interconnect

Post by interconnect »

diamondsw wrote:
interconnect wrote:Also, I originally thought that this may be because of AppNap... So I tried disabling it (Get Info on Transmission app in Applications folder and you can disable in there) but didn't seem to fix it, however I didn't have much time to play with it.
I've been dealing with this exact issue for many months, and disabling AppNap for Transmission resolved it completely. YMMV, but I don't think it will - I really think that's the culprit.
Ok, you convinced me to try again and it appears to be working and I think it solved the issue. I made sure this time to quit Transmission first, disable AppNap and then restart the machine. I made sure Transmission was not in focus, waited 15 minutes (then an hour, then 3 hours) and downloaded 3 torrents added via the web interface.... All 3 worked, no problem. I will test this a little further with my rss downloader, but all appears to be working normally now.
Zaff

Post by Zaff »

Yeah I also tried that now with Disable AppNap, restarted the machine and so far so good!
jbl429

Post by jbl429 »

Hey everyone, just registered to tell everyone I had the same problem, and it was resolved by disabling App Nap specifically for Transmission, not for all other apps. You can do this without restarting, but finding Transmission in the Finder, right-clicking and selecting "Get Info." Then check off "Disable App Nap" and close the info box. That immediately fixed the issue.

Thanks!
matqo0915

Post by matqo0915 »

Another workaround is to relaunch Transmission after you add a torrent via web interface. Can be done remotely by executing:

killall Transmission
open /Applications/Transmision.app