Transfer speed continually drops to 0 before recovering

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
tbt-mac-user

Transfer speed continually drops to 0 before recovering

Post by tbt-mac-user »

Hi,

As title, my problem is that on 2.84 transfer speed continually drops to 0 every few seconds before recovering. I had this problem a few months ago and then decided to move back to uTorrent as I couldn't fix it. I started using Transmission again a couple of days ago because I really don't want to use uTorrent and I've found that the problem is still occurring. Nothing similar happens in uTorrent, even on the exact same torrents.

I thought maybe it was because a few of the torrents had a low number of seeds but I tested a torrent of Ubuntu that was well seeded and it would download at around 3MB/s before dropping to 0 and then going back to 3MB/s continually.

I really want to get into using Transmission as it seems great but this a major problem for me and I've found no way to overcome it. Does anyone have any ideas?

Edit: I should add that the upload speeds also drops to 0 at the exact same time, it's not a specific downstream issue.
tbt-mac-user

Re: Transfer speed continually drops to 0 before recovering

Post by tbt-mac-user »

Hi,

This is the one I tested on: http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.10/ubuntu ... so.torrent

It would reach peak download speed before seemingly dropping to 0. This just repeats every few seconds. It happens on every torrent.

Edit: I should add it's not just one torrent that drops to 0, they all drop to 0 for either a split second or a few seconds at the same time before jumping back up.
Last edited by tbt-mac-user on Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tbt-mac-user

Post by tbt-mac-user »

x190 wrote:
This is the one I tested on: http://releases.ubuntu.com/14.10/ubuntu ... so.torrent
That link is truncated.
Apologies, it should be fixed now.

Put simply, the best way to describe what I'm experiencing is that it's like I'm continually hitting the pause all and then resume button.
tbt-mac-user

Post by tbt-mac-user »

x190 wrote:Downloads for me at a rock steady 650KB/s with 10 connected peers. That is my set speed. If I go for unlimited speed there is a small variation, but that would be due to normal limiting by my ISP. No uploading atm, as the seed:leech ratio is ~8:1.

That would suggest that you have a network congestion issue. Set speeds at 60% of tested speed and be sure you understand the units.

Latest Transmission (nightly) version:
https://build.transmissionbt.com/job/trunk-mac/

I have µTP disabled in Preferences->Network.
Thanks for the suggestions. It's not solely happening just when I reach peak downloads though. I just used the Ubuntu torrent as an example to illustrate it's also happening on torrents that are well seeded. If I have 1 or 5 torrents active, at either 50kb/s or 3MB/s, it will still momentarily drop to 0. When it drops it's only for a split second - all torrents listed will show 0 for both download and upload. It will then jump straight back to the previous speed, it doesn't steadily climb back up.

Is it still likely to be a network congestion issue at such slow speeds? I should note I don't experience slow down or loss of connection in other applications. Web browsing, for example, seems to be completely fine. My ISP also doesn't employ any traffic shaping or management and neither does my VPN provider.

I have downloaded the nightly and will continue to monitor. Perhaps I should try and screen capture the Transmission window when it occurs.
fjest

Post by fjest »

Why is this not listed as a known issue? It's happened to a lot of people. Devs thought they solved it back on v1.8, but it's still a big issue.