Add window not being disabled when preference is turned off

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
dihard

Add window not being disabled when preference is turned off

Post by dihard »

I have "Display a window when opening a magnet link" unchecked in preferences but the Add dialog window still comes up. I have rebooted after unchecking. I did a search and made sure "Same as torrent file" for download location was not selected which was the proposed solution in previous threads (https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/4712 is the ticket always mentioned but this did not help as I never had it set to that). I have Transmission running on two macs and done all of the above and both display the Add window when adding a magnet.

Are there any other things I can check or is this a bug?
dihard

Re: Add window not being disabled when preference is turned off

Post by dihard »

I've tested with the latest build, Transmission-14493.dmg, and the current stable 2.84 (14306). Mac Yosemite 10.10.2 and just upgraded to 10.10.3 no change.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 6.22.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-04-11 at 6.22.51 PM.png (151.63 KiB) Viewed 10881 times
dihard

Post by dihard »

The stuff in the background is just old files I deleted manually but didn't clear out of Transmission yet before taking this screenshot. My hard drive is fine and is mounted (it saves to my main drive so my computer wouldn't be running if it wasn't mounted). Like I said, this is happening on two different macs, a Mac Mini and Macbook Pro, so I really don't think it is hardware related.
dihard

Post by dihard »

Ok, I've tried a few more things.

This is the value in my org.m0k.transmission.plist file I think is related to this setting:

NSWINDOW Frame AddMagnetWindow : <string>645 375 510 260 0 0 1440 877 </string>

I tried deleting the plist file so it would create a fresh one and reset my preferences but the file keeps coming back. I'm not sure how to do a reset.

After this I tried a friend's mac that has never had Transmission installed and that one works correctly. I looked at his plist file and it looks very different than mine, about 1/4 the number of fields. It doesn't have this Addmagnetwindow field but instead has a MagnetOpenAsk/boolean/NO field that mine doesn't have. I tried adding this field to mine as well as replacing my plist file with his but it keeps getting overwritten when I launch Transmission.

I know something is off here but I'm not sure exactly what this means but hopefully that gives you enough to figure out what's going on?
dihard

Post by dihard »

I've also tried deleting both the plist file and the whole Transmission.app with a fresh copy off the site at the same time but it still loads the old preferences.
dihard

Post by dihard »

Great, a full wipe of all the files worked. I guess something got corrupted or something.
DucDude145

Post by DucDude145 »

Same thing is happened to me, and following the instructions to trash all Transmission files doesn't work. The preferences are still saved, even with a fresh install. So even though I have "display a window when opening a magnet link" unchecked, the window prompt appears asking for a save location.

The problem with having the window appear is that is breaks automation of both TV Shows and the Catch app.
dihard

Post by dihard »

So I had to go a little beyond his instructions. I trashed the files and pp, emptied trash, but one of the files was 'still in use' so I had to reboot my computer then empty the trash again, then it worked.

I recommend taking a screenshot of each page of your preferences. It'll make re-setting all your settings easier if you have a lot of changes from the default.
DucDude145

Post by DucDude145 »

So I made SOME progress in that I can get a fresh install with no preferences set, but adding a magnet link ALWAYS gets the prompt, regardless of what I do.

Everything in the Add Window section of Adding is unchecked. This is on Transmission 2.84 on OS X 10.9.5.

I think this is a bug pure and simple.

EDIT--okay, I figured it out. https://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/4712 helped my greatly in understanding the logic here. Changing my default download directory to something besides "Same as Torrent file" allowed the magnet links to skip the Add Window process.
dihard

Post by dihard »

Yea, you still need to check that solution first. If that one doesn't work, like for me, you need to go through these extra steps to clear everything.
dihard

Post by dihard »

Version 2.84 (14306)

I've done about as clean a wipe and reset of Transmission's support files as possible and downloaded a fresh copy from the site.

You said the "Only when there are multiple files" option is working correctly, but have you confirmed that "Only when there are multiple files" is? ie No window shows up when you add a torrent file with just one file?