Transmission temporary file configuration

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
rah33

Transmission temporary file configuration

Post by rah33 »

Hi to everyone,I need to ask you some help regarding Imac and Fusion drive.
First...my intention is to use an external drive for torrent storaging(complete torrent and temporary files,if Transmission does create them).
Is it enough to set the download directory in the external usb drive ? I fear not.
I am quite confused about Osx so the question is,does Transmission creates a temporary file of the current downloaded torrent in the Fusion drive even if I set another download folder outside the Fusion drive ?
I would reduce the writing on the SSD.
I hope you immediately understand the question and you could give a guide/help !
Thanks you in advance for everything done up to now !!
rah33

Re: Transmission temporary file configuration

Post by rah33 »

I am reading the guide at https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/EditConfigFiles

So I would need to modify the incomplete dir or disable it ?

Files and Locations

download-dir: String (default = default locations)
incomplete-dir: String (default = default locations) Directory to keep files in until torrent is complete.
incomplete-dir-enabled: Boolean (default = false) When enabled, new torrents will download the files to incomplete-dir. When complete, the files will be moved to download-dir.
preallocation: Number (0 = Off, 1 = Fast, 2 = Full (slower but reduces disk fragmentation), default = 1)
rename-partial-files: Boolean (default = true) Postfix partially downloaded files with ".part".
start-added-torrents: Boolean (default = true) Start torrents as soon as they are added.
trash-original-torrent-files: Boolean (default = false) Delete torrents added from the watch directory.
umask: Number (default = 18) Sets transmission's file mode creation mask. See ​the umask(2) manpage for more information. Users who want their saved torrents to be world-writable may want to set this value to 0. Bear in mind that the json markup language only accepts numbers in base 10, so the standard umask(2) octal notation "022" is written in settings.json as 18.
watch-dir: String
watch-dir-enabled: Boolean (default = false) Watch a directory for torrent files and add them to transmission.
Note: When watch-dir-enabled is true, only the transmission-daemon, transmission-gtk, and transmission-qt applications will monitor watch-dir for new .torrent files and automatically load them.
rah33

Re: Transmission temporary file configuration

Post by rah33 »

After having done some testing it seems that changing the download folder on an external drive the Fusion drive is maintened nearly idle.
Still i have a problem,in fact the external hd is writing and reading(thanks to Istat menus and noise) but Transmission stops responding for few minutes(blocking the download)being freezed and then restarts.
How to solve ??

Thanks