OpenVPN - Could not connect to tracker

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
glitch

OpenVPN - Could not connect to tracker

Post by glitch »

Looking for some support on my Transmission setup with OpenVPN. I'm currently using Tunnelblick. Ideally, I would like all my server's traffic to NOT go through my VPN with the exception of Transmission. I've added `route-noexec` to the top of my config file so that my VPN service doesn't overwrite my routes (Note: if I don't do this, then everything goes through the VPN). I can list the routing table after connection is made if that's helpful.

After I connect tunnelblick, I am binding Transmission to the interfaces IP address (`defaults write ~/Library/Preferences/org.m0k.transmission.plist BindAddressIPv4 -string xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx`) and then start Transmission. I see in the logs the following (where x's are the IP I previously bounded):

Bound socket 22 to port 65065 on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
Bound socket 23 to port 65065 on ::

At this point, if I start or resume a torrent, I get the error "Could not connect to tracker" on every tracker. Searching for similar issues, I found someone else had this experience and changing their DNS servers fixed the issue. I tried that but with no success.

These torrents run / resume fine if I either don't connect my VPN or if I do connect the VPN but leave out the `route-noexec` command. Any help on getting this to work would be awesome.

Thanks in advance!

Perhaps this should be moved to general support? This issue seems to be the case with qBitTorrent client as well. I imagine it's more of a networking support question than related to the Mac version of Transmission. Any help would still be very appreciated.
Last edited by glitch on Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glitch

Re: OpenVPN - Could not connect to tracker

Post by glitch »

- I've tried using a property editor with the same results.
- I don't think it's the VPN blocking trackers since it works just fine through the VPN when I accept all of their route overrides

If any additional information I can provide could help, just let me know.
glitch

Re: OpenVPN - Could not connect to tracker

Post by glitch »

Then it's your error. Your config is incorrect or bind address is incorrect.
If you read my original post, I am aware that this is most likely not a Transmission issue but a config or networking one. I was hoping that someone in this community had either ran into this before or was more knowledgable about networking and VPN than I and could help me troubleshoot the problem.