TLS SNI problem on OS X

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Crank

Re: TLS SNI problem on OS X

Post by Crank »

Maybe firefox use its own libs for openssl and curl?
Crank

Post by Crank »

x190 wrote:Don't know, but you could use "$ env TR_CURL_SSL_VERIFY=1 /Applications/Transmission.app/Contents/MacOS/Transmission" on an unpatched system and see what happens --- likely needs a minimum version of curl/openssl?
I'm pretty sure that a minimum version of openssl and curl is required. Looks like the 7.43 version provided by OSX is a little bit buggy.
x190 wrote: EDIT: If you like the way "TR_CURL_SSL_VERIFY=1" works, you can change a line in libtransmission/web.c:(static void
tr_webThreadFunc (void * vsession))

Code: Select all

-web->curl_ssl_verify = tr_env_key_exists ("TR_CURL_SSL_VERIFY");
+web->curl_ssl_verify = true;
For this change I have to compile T by myself I think?
metaclam

Post by metaclam »

This was an issue on a tracker I use. I don't really understand what all this is about, but for the convenience of end users who need a way to launch Transmission in this mode, here's a simple AppleScript to launch transmission:

property transmission_path : "/Applications/Transmission.app/Contents/MacOS/Transmission"
do shell script "env TR_CURL_SSL_VERIFY=1 " & quoted form of transmission_path & " > /dev/null 2>&1 &"
Here's a slightly more involved version of that same script, where you can set a custom path.
Telecart

Post by Telecart »

Thanks! 2019 and this is still an issue out-of-the-box for MacOS version of T. Good thing there's a workaround though!
jubei

Post by jubei »

metaclam wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:35 am This was an issue on a tracker I use. I don't really understand what all this is about, but for the convenience of end users who need a way to launch Transmission in this mode, here's a simple AppleScript to launch transmission:

property transmission_path : "/Applications/Transmission.app/Contents/MacOS/Transmission"
do shell script "env TR_CURL_SSL_VERIFY=1 " & quoted form of transmission_path & " > /dev/null 2>&1 &"
Here's a slightly more involved version of that same script, where you can set a custom path.
Sorry a bit of a noob layman here but I was searching for a solution to upgrade Transmission so it can deal with TLS 1.2. Does this solve it?