File structure: Stopped Seeding: /torrent vs /resume vs Watch For Torrents Here

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
TranTran

File structure: Stopped Seeding: /torrent vs /resume vs Watch For Torrents Here

Post by TranTran »

Tell me how to get my completed torrent DATA files to begin Seeding again.

Explain this folder structure system to me. Why 3 folders for Torrent files?
When I started, I used the options in Permissions to create a Watch For Torrents Here folder, and a Default Location for DATA files, and an Incomplete Files folder for DATA files.

Trying to solve the NEED PERMISSIONS error, I got rid of the Incomplete Files data folder and moved everything to the Default Location data folder.

I also moved all my Torrents out of the Watch Here folder into an "Inactive Torrents" folder after they all had the NEED PERMISSIONS error (mostly they were Seeding).

All of my completed DATA has stopped Seeding. When I drag a Torrent back into the Watch Here folder, or double click on it, the torrent starts Downloading instead of Seeding.

I see that the /torrent and /resume folders in ~/USER/LIBRARY/APPLICATIONS/Transmission seem to contain all the torrents. But the filenames are different. The suffix .resume makes sense.

But the /torrent folder has lost the prefix (if there was one) and added a character string:

[kat.cr]NAME.torrent in the Watch Here folder
becomes
NAME.StringOfCharacters.torrent in the /torrent folder
becomes
NAME.stringOfCharacters.resume in the /resume folder
TranTran

Re: File structure: Stopped Seeding: /torrent vs /resume vs Watch For Torrents Here

Post by TranTran »

What happens if I Trash Torrent File from the torrent's popup window?
Will it remove it from all 3 locations?

What if I manually drag a Torrent File from the Watch Here folder into the Trash?
TranTran

Re: File structure: Stopped Seeding: /torrent vs /resume vs Watch For Torrents Here

Post by TranTran »

I have discovered a Torrent File which has NOT yet been Added. But it is "Verifying Local Data."
I wonder if that process is in an endless loop, because I think I started it yesterday, but then closed its window. So it seems that the toggle "Verify Local Data" is persistant even after closing the window.

Is it possible to complete a Verification when the torrent file is NOT YET "Added ?"

Transmission is a very mysterious pieces of software.
TranTran

Post by TranTran »

Another confusing item: The toggle says "VERIFY Existing Data." But the status info line in the main window says "CHECKING Existing Data."
How is the user supposed to be sure that these are the same thing?
TranTran

Post by TranTran »

Is Transmission only capable of performing a Check Existing Data on one file at a time?
At the moment I have one file Checking and two Waiting To Check.
cfpp2p

Post by cfpp2p »

Transmission is a very mysterious pieces of software.
:shock:

sounds like you've got your directories crossed up and loop back, but i'm finding your problem description difficult to sort through. you'll need a mac user to sort it out, i'm not, but maybe just try basic to begin with.
TranTran

Post by TranTran »

Here's what I'm doing:
1) I drag a Torrent File from "inactive" into "watch for torrents here" folder
2) Torrent File will appear in a Transmission popup window. I click "Add."
3) Torrent appears in DOWNLOADING, which is wrong, should be seeding.
4) I invoke "Move Data File To" and point it to the directory in which the data file's FOLDER exists.
5) I invoke "Verify Local Data."
6) SOMETIMES this works and it starts seeding.