2 big issues... What's going on with my transmission?

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
VoidKing

2 big issues... What's going on with my transmission?

Post by VoidKing »

Issue 1

9/10 times when adding a torrent, the add torrent dialogue doesn't hash check completely. The top two files on the list are always hash checked short by a few percent. If I hit verify, it will then complete and show as 100%.

Issue 2
I've noticed in recent times that my 2.92 client is very slow to connect to any other peers.

For example, having uploaded a new torrent, there could be 10 peers waiting to download. If I add the torrent file to Transmission, it will sit with 0 peers for quite a while, before suddenly bursting in to life. If I join a swarm, it won't download instantly and will take 5-10 minutes to connect and start downloading.

Whilst it's tempting to blame these problems on the swarms themselves, unfortunately it's not that. If I close uTorrent and open Deluge or qBittorrent, they spring to life instantly, no waiting. Nothing remedies this problem in Transmission that I can find. The port is the same, and it's visible under canyouseeme etc.

Why is this? I am reluctant to ditch Transmission but it's becoming unusable like this. I have wiped and restarted 4 times with no change (each time deleting everything App Support, pref files, cache, etc.)
VoidKing

Re: 2 big issues... What's going on with my transmission?

Post by VoidKing »

No. I close clients completely before moving to another one. The issues remain even when Transmission is the only thing open after a fresh reboot.
VoidKing

Re: 2 big issues... What's going on with my transmission?

Post by VoidKing »

I cannot be the only person who's noticed this, because I can reproduce the exact same problem across three OS X installations, of different types of machines.

In a list of files, the first one shows as 0.00%. The second is 99.71%. Clicking verify will return these percentages to 100%. Yes, the files are all there. No, they haven't been modified.

Transmission is slow to connect to other machines, and then randomly does so. Even a swarm of 5 Transmission clients across different IPs don't connect for up to 18 minutes. The same machines if loaded with qBittorrent or Deluge connect within seconds of the torrent file being added.

It seems Transmission is fundamentally broken, which is a shame because it has by far the best groups implementation of any OS X client.