Port is closed Problem

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
tagtagtag

Re: Port is closed Problem

Post by tagtagtag »

Could you tell us your new rules, please? I have Transmission: Allow any outgoing connection; Allow any incoming connection.
Bangkokgal

Post by Bangkokgal »

Do you have the app Little Snitch?
tagtagtag

Post by tagtagtag »

Yes, I just reported my rules and asked for yours, please.
Bangkokgal

Post by Bangkokgal »

All, I did was create a new incoming and outgoing rule for Transmission in Little Snitch. Do you know how to create rules using Little Snitch? Here is their website https://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html
tagtagtag

Post by tagtagtag »

Yes I do know. I told you what rules I created. ALLOW all incoming; all outgoing; any port.
Please, would you kindly tell us your rules?
Bangkokgal

Post by Bangkokgal »

Same. It is working ok, but not great.
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

As I mentioned earlier, I found out the reason that my port was closed was due to my VPN. I contacted my VPN provider, NordVPN, to ask when they will be providing port forwarding. In their response they mentioned that I can use a Socks5 proxy, although Transmission does not support that. However they did say that when I use a Soxks5 proxy, I would have to use port 1080 - nothing else would do.

I'm in above my head here and no longer really understand what is going on. However I decided to try port 1080 in Transmission whilst running NordVPN just to see what happens. Lo and behold, it works.

When using NordVPN and Transmission, using port 1080 will ensure full access. All the other ports I have tried fail.
tagtagtag

Post by tagtagtag »

I don't have VPN.
Tries 1080 in Transmission's prefs, said port is closed.

I ask again: is Transmission aware of this problem?
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

I spoke too soon anyway. If I use 1080 the port shows as open but all my downloads stall. Back to the drawing board.

I have no idea if they know about it. It probably isn't a problem with the software. It is more likely to be a problem with how your system is setup.
tagtagtag

Post by tagtagtag »

There's nothing fancy about my setup (unlike your setup). Transmission should HELP us, not give us the cruel silent uncaring treatment.
oski89

Post by oski89 »

I am running Transmission 2.92 on Mac and have always been fine with connectivity. A few days ago I updated to OS X Sierra and since that it seems that I am no longer connectable. Transmission just reports "Port is closed".

I have no Firewall active, not running Little Snitch or any other software blocking connectivity. My router is an Apple Time Capsule 2 TB if that matters. I have set the router in "DHCP and NAT" mode, reserved a specific DHCP for my computer, enabled "NAT Port Mapping Control" and even opened some ports manually, but nothing seems to solve the issue.

If there is a solution, please inform!
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

When you say you have no firewall active, do you mean locally on your Mac, on the modem connected to the Airport, or both?
tagtagtag

Post by tagtagtag »

To reply to Vaelin, I have same problem, since Sierra, and nn firewire active anywhere. I wish Transmission would respond to our posts.