Port is closed Problem

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Rygantic

Port is closed Problem

Post by Rygantic »

Hi guys,

I'm struggling to get the port to read as open, I've followed the help and its still not working. Any help would be most welcome!

Thanks!

Transmission 2.92
OSX 10.11.6
tagtagtag

Re: Port is closed Problem

Post by tagtagtag »

I have the same problem, since updating to OS Sierra, nothing else changed. Hitting the RANDOMIZE button doesn't help. So I can't seed.
tagtagtag

Post by tagtagtag »

Added data: after a few punches on Randomize, Transmission reports "Port check site is down."
What does that mean?
s890

Post by s890 »

tagtagtag wrote:I have the same problem, since updating to OS Sierra, nothing else changed. Hitting the RANDOMIZE button doesn't help. So I can't seed.
Same problem. I’ve been looking for a solution for the last two hours and I’m now pretty sure the problem comes from Mac OS Sierra.

Some additional data:

- My router is not the problem, all ports are forwarded correctly there.
- No problem to download/leech, but absolutely nothing is seeded.
- The exact same problem (leeching ok, seeding not working) also affects other BitTorrent clients on my machine (tested with Deluge and μTorrent, among others). In all cases, no peer is able to connect, because ports can never be opened.
- Many peers appear in the list of peers, but they usually disappear after just one second or even less, without leeching any data. It’s not a problem of torrents having too many seeders or not enough leechers. New leechers appear all the time but they always fail to connect.
tagtagtag

Post by tagtagtag »

I tried removing the files named by x190 above, then relaunched Transmission: made no difference.
Also ran Transmission's ISP checked: found they are NOT blocking or limiting me in any way.
s890

Post by s890 »

New details:

After a few hours, despite still having a closed port, I managed to seed about 50 MB of data to some peers, at an awfully slow rate (about 8 kb per second, sometimes more). 50 MB in several hours is ridiculously small in my situation (my Internet connection has about 7 Mbps of upload bandwidth).

I have PEX, DHT and LPD enabled. I guess that at least one of these three mechanisms does not need to connect through the closed port, hence allowing some seeding to work. Could someone confirm this?
tagtagtag

Post by tagtagtag »

How does one enable PEX, DHT, LPO (whatever they are) ?
s890

Post by s890 »

tagtagtag wrote:How does one enable PEX, DHT, LPO (whatever they are) ?
Go to Transmission’s settings, in the “Peers” tab (I guess the tab is called like that, but my own version of Transmission is in another language than English. It’s the tab with an icon representing the silhouettes of two persons).
tagtagtag

Post by tagtagtag »

Is Transmission aware of this bug? Will they produce an update to fix it?
Bangkokgal

Post by Bangkokgal »

I'm having the same problem. It occurred suddenly, and I have spent the whole day trying to fix it, all to no avail. I've done pretty much everything that has been suggested,and my port is still closed. I can neither upload nor download. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Bangkokgal on Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

I have the same problem. Initially it said port is closed, now it says port check site is down.

I can download fine, but I cannot upload.
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

I have discovered that my VPN is the problem. When I disabled the VPN the port shows as open.

I have absolutely no idea how to fix that.
tagtagtag

Post by tagtagtag »

Is a VPN the same as having a router?
The last two weeks, though it always says port closed, it continues to seed at a good pace -- but apparently onto to some leechers, not to some others.
Is Transmission aware or interested in this problem? Does anyone from Transmission read this forum?
Vaelin

Post by Vaelin »

If you don't have a VPN then I think we have different problems. You would know if you had one; you have to buy a subscription. It is not like a router, but I advise you research it and get one if you plan on torrenting. You are putting yourself at risk by torrenting without a VPN.

Here is an explanation of why you still have some connections with a closed port:
The short answer to the question: YES, you can seed with closed port too.

If the port is closed that only means you can't accept incoming connections, but you can still connect to peers who accept connections. In torrent terminology they say that you are in passive mode.
If your port would be open then you would be able to accept connections too. In torrent terminology this is called active mode.
So it works like this: A client in passive mode can connect to a client which is in active mode, but not to a client which is in passive mode. A client in active mode can connect to both active and passive clients.

So if your port is closed that only means you can't connect to other peers with closed ports. That means that you may get less peers and because of that worse speed. But if the torrent is frequent and there are lot of peers your client will likely be able to find enough active peers to max out your connection. If the torrent has few peers then it is likely that with active mode you would get much better speed. (If that rare case happens that all the peers are in passive mode, then you won't be able to download/upload anything. Actually non of the peers would be able to do anything as everyone is passive, you will have to wait until an active peer comes in.)
http://askubuntu.com/questions/405487/t ... -happening

Apparently my VPN provider, NordVPN, does not currently offer port forwarding, which is necessary to accept incoming connections. They are working on it as a top priority - or so they say - but the initial ETA for release was Jan 2016, so almost a year ago. They do not currently have an ETA for release of port forwarding.

My uploads are the main problem, so it looks like I am going to have to leech for the foreseeable future; I have a 2 year subscription to NordVPN.
Bangkokgal

Post by Bangkokgal »

I don't have a VPN. However, when I downloaded the most recent version of Transmission, I didn't realize that I also had to create a new rule for Little Snitch. It is now downloading albeit a bit slow. Thanks for your help.