Safari Magnet Link opens 'Allow' Transmission Dialogue Box

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
MBehr

Safari Magnet Link opens 'Allow' Transmission Dialogue Box

Post by MBehr »

So I managed to fix the infamous adding Torrent/Magnet download, but can't figure out how to eliminate the "Do you want to allow this page to open 'Transmission'? dialogue box. Transmission is running, and this only happens with Magnet links, Torrent links asks for no such confirmation; and I'm aware that these are two different types of links.
Safari - allow this page to open Transmission
Safari - allow this page to open Transmission
Screen Shot 2016-11-19 at 05.33.53.png (13.04 KiB) Viewed 25226 times
I'm not sure if this is the default behaviour after moving to macOS Sierra, but I don't remember having to always click on "Allow" ...this page, when clicking a Magnet link for Safari/Transmission.

Can somebody point me in the right direction to just always allow the page to open Transmission?

Thanks
MBehr

Re: Safari Magnet Link opens 'Allow' Transmission Dialogue Box

Post by MBehr »

Great suggestion @x190 - forgot about something as simple as drag'n'drop. Sadly, tho a valid solution, would only be good for a one-off link. Most of the times I've generated a magnet list and go through the list clicking on the magnet links for the stuff that meets my criteria...with the mouse pointer remaining on the page within the list, and acting as a sort of book mark, thus maintaining where I am in the list, as I move through it.

It's probably going to be easier for me to wipe all preferences and remove transmission - tho I tried once...so maybe remove and reboot before reinstalling. As it behaves correctly on my other mac (Only difference is the working one is running production macOS Sierra, and the other one is running the next macOS Sierra beta).

We'll see how I fare...and report back. Keep the suggestions coming...I'm sure I'm not the first one to have to fight with this.
MBehr

Post by MBehr »

Deleted all the Transmission directories and plist locations, rebooted, and set all the configurations as I normally have them. Success - no longer have to confirm magnet links. Not sure why it didn't get fixed the first time round, and I can't remember if I rebooted when I first did this. Tho I suspect I did since I followed the original directions for clearing everything out. No matter, I can confirm that it is NOT a Safari setting that was causing this, as I changed nothing on Safari, at any time. Just Transmission.

So now we know, Safari has no settings the would force asking if the page with the Magnet Links can open Transmission. It was some settings that got munged up. Whew. I was prepared to have to fight harder and longer to resolve...but not so. Woohoo
MBehr

Post by MBehr »

So I spoke too soon...I still haven't resolved getting rid of the "Allow" a magnet link to open Transmission without being asked in a dialogue box. Deleted everything and setup new install exactly like another Mac here - still asks for confirmation. The other Mac does not. Just craziness...why would one Mac require confirmation, and the other does not when opening a magnet link:
Screen Shot 2016-11-26 at 00.48.42.png
Screen Shot 2016-11-26 at 00.48.42.png (15.49 KiB) Viewed 25179 times
Without Transmission installed, Safari has no idea what to do with the magnet link...but once transmission is installed it knows, but asks for permission to open Transmission with the Magnet Link.

The only additional problem I have is trying to update Transmission from an older version to newer/or beta version via the Transmission update...it downloads the update, but gives an error trying to apply the update. So there's something else going on (permissions?) besides the "Don't Ask" toggle in the preferences..

Mad.
darius

Post by darius »

FWIW, I am seeing a similar "permission popup" behavior for some Extensions that open an outside app, such as the "Clip to DevonThink" and the "nvlt" extension for nvALT.

My supposition is that something has changed in recent Safari updates that has changed permission for types of "open with" for apps from Safari. I haven't tracked down what it might be, and this is the first thing I've found that exactly matches the text in the popup.

I've tried, as you have, removing and reinstalling apps, extensions, and Safari itself.

If someone comes up with a resolution, especially one that's generalizable, I'd love to hear about it.

d.
MBehr

Post by MBehr »

Precisely!

I suspect it has something to do with the beta releases of macOS Safari - specifically the Safari updates and underlying permissions, as you alluded to. maxOS Sierra's Safari has no such problems, while the on going beta releases for the Sierra updates have changed something. Definitely a problem that will have to be addressed before the update becomes final and is pushed out by Apple, and affecting the installed user base with out any problems atm. Transition...
hoffy97

Post by hoffy97 »

Anyone figure this out? This is now in the current version on El Capitan too [10.0.2 (11602.3.12.0.1)], that was rolled out today. Super annoying.
Morgan1er

Post by Morgan1er »

Same here: I run Transmission 2.92 on macOS Sierra 10.12.2 with Safari 10.0.2 and I can't skip this "Allow…" box. Very annoying…