Transmission 2.92 constantly hanging, need to force-quit

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
photonboy

Transmission 2.92 constantly hanging, need to force-quit

Post by photonboy »

This is happening multiple times per day for at least a couple of months, it's really beginning to drive me nuts. The fact that I don't see many other similar reports tells me it's likely something unique to my system.

I just grabbed the most recent build (2.92+) and it hung the first time I tried to start it. I know that it is not a case of just getting impatient and force-quitting because sometimes it hangs for hours, even a whole day, before I notice.

I have been using Transmission for a number of years and have not had trouble until this issue began.

I read the sticky on proper reporting, could not find the exact info in console that was asked for so I'm dumping in all results for "Transmission".

Pastebin of Console logs: http://pastebin.com/bAU4q5t0

Pastebin of Crash Report (1 of 2) (it was too big for pastbin to eat in one bite): http://pastebin.com/T8m1hTU9

Pastebin of Crash Report (2 of 2): http://pastebin.com/YkpkV3wG
photonboy

Re: Transmission 2.92 constantly hanging, need to force-quit

Post by photonboy »

Thanks for the info. Just tried your advice, so far so good, hopefully it holds.

Didn't reply sooner as I didn't get a notification email of your response..
Menel

Post by Menel »

photonboy wrote:Thanks for the info. Just tried your advice, so far so good, hopefully it holds.

Didn't reply sooner as I didn't get a notification email of your response..
Are you still fixed?

I did each step except this...

~/Library/Application Support/Transmission (.torrent files can be found here and can be re-added to Transmission. Use "File-->Move Data File To..." (enclosing folder) and "Transfers-->Verify Local Data" as necessary.)

... because I have 50 torrents loading and readding/rechecking them all.. ='(

It seems better, so far only LONG multi-minute hangs, but recovering.
photonboy

Post by photonboy »

Well, I had a relatively hang-free couple of weeks but it's starting to happen again. And when I say "hang" I don't mean just for a few annoying minutes, I mean it hangs until a force quit, which may be hours or a day later. I have waited to verify this. Sometimes, even if I have not added any new torrents, just letting the completed ones seed away, and when there is little or no bandwidth activity it will still seemingly randomly hang. I have been using Transmission trouble-free for many years and have not changed my behavior in any way that I'm aware of. This issue has been over the last two or three versions.
photonboy

Post by photonboy »

x190 wrote:For newly added torrents, you need to allow time for the OS to preallocate space for the file. This is an OS X thing, and not a hang, and may take a few minutes for large files.

If you use 'force quit', then you risk corrupting .resume files and then you need at least to remove them and reverify data, or else do a full clean install.
So far I have not had a force-quit result in corrupted files. I am aware of this possibility but have not had that happen yet.