Port forward

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
beckyt

Port forward

Post by beckyt »

I Dnld my first torrent (an ebook). It dwld fine. have left it in Transmission 2.84 to seed as required. Looked at Trans Pref. Network says Port Closed.
How do I open it. Using Mac OS Sierra 10.12.3
flipper

Re: Port forward

Post by flipper »

You need to have a port forwarded on your router. Get into the router using it's web interface, assign a static IP to your computer,then go to the section "Port Forwarding," and choose some random number (I chose 16855) for the port, and set the external (or "from") and the internal (or "to") to that chosen random port number, and make sure it's assigned to your already-chosen/set Static IP. If you need a better guide, go to https://portforward.com/router.htm#D and select your Router, and after the page changes, select the model of your router, and then follow the instructions there.

There's another alternative, simply to test Transmission, and that is to set the "open" port, in Transmission, to 443. That's the port used to login to secure email servers (usually). I don't recommend using it all the time, but you can at least insert that number, then click the "Automatically Map Port" checkbox, on or off to initiate Transmission's attempt to "check" the port. It may take several tries, or a few minutes, but it will almost certainly show 443 as "open." Try that first, but when you're satisfied that the app is working properly, take the time to give yourself an "out of range" Static IP, and choose an unused port for forwarding (something random between, say 12001 and 16999). Ports and routers can seem pretty tricky, obviously, it's that way for everyone, at first, but if I can read about it and sort it out, anyone can. Believe me.
11201ny

Re: Port forward

Post by 11201ny »

Moved post