Sierra 10.12.5 and Transmission Mac dock icon changing to ?

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
seaseasea

Sierra 10.12.5 and Transmission Mac dock icon changing to ?

Post by seaseasea »

Hello
I have a fresh install of Sierra 10.12.5 on my brand new harddrive and I recreated my working environment (e.g. I installed all the apps from scratch).

Transmission Mac 2.9.2 dock icon is not staying after boot down. After boot up it becomes a ? on the dock.
Per osx documentation that means OSX cannot find transmission Mac 2.9.2 application on boot up.

I reinstalled Transmission 2.9.2 and it still did it
I double checked Transmission 2.9.2 is in my /Applications folder
I right clicked on Transmission 2.9.2 icon and selected Options/Show in Finder -- and it successfully found Transmission Mac 2.9.2
If I navigate to the Applications folder, double click on Transmission, I open it, it adds a new icon on dock (if I right click and say stay in dock), then next time that dock icon is a ? mark.... again
It does not happen for any other app I have installed.

All the documentation on osx says its about it not being able to be found. It makes no sense to me as I can see it.

Any ideas?
Thankyou

Update:
I found this link that helps.
https://forums.vandyke.com/showthread.p ... #post46546

The issue seems to be related to the fact that quarantine flag was not removed from the Transmission Mac 2.9.2 app, despite the fact that I used Finder to copy it from the install DMG to /Applications
seaseasea

Re: Sierra 10.12.5 and Transmission Mac dock icon changing to ?

Post by seaseasea »

Yes this did solve it.

1) close transmission mac app
2) in Finder (not Pathfinder app), move the transmission mac app from the /applications folder to any other folder
3) in Finder (not Pathfinder app), move the transmission mac app back to the /applications folder

the quarantine flag did not get set during install (e.g. dragging the transmission mac app from DMG into /applications folder), for some unknown reason