Slow on macOS, why?

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Leecham

Slow on macOS, why?

Post by Leecham »

Dear Community,
a couple of month ago, I noticed that torrent speed was pretty slow and today I finally had the time to look into the issue.
We have 400MBit line here. Speedtest.net confirms 300+ MBit speed down.
On my Mac Mini (Model 2014, 2,6Ghz i5, 8GB RAM, lastest macOS, which doesn't do much, except torrenting) I used to get 20, sometimes even 30MBytes/sec. for torrent downloads, which means I almost maxed out our line.
Currently I am getting 2MBytes, peaks of 3,5MBytes but usually less then 1MByte, with strong fluctuations, which is quite disappointing.
Today I installed transmission-daemon on a phresh debian 9 linux VE (not even a physical box and the host is no powerhouse either :^) in the same LAN.
I made sure both the Mac and the Deb have the same configuration/settings in transmission and I used the identical magnet link for a test.

On the Linux, I get the speeds I used to have on my Mac, i.e. 30+ MBytes :shock:

Why is this so?

How can I get the Mac back to the old speeds of 30+MBytes?
Where in macOS might be possible bottlenecks that potentially slow down torrent (which maybe have been implemented w. upgrades of macOS)?

Cheers :)
darmok

Re: Slow on macOS, why?

Post by darmok »

What version of Transmission? What else is running? Got any memory free?

What does Activity Monitor show as the piggiest processes by CPU? by disk I/O?

fwiw, I'm on a 2012 i5 mini but with 16GB RAM, High Sierra (fully updated), & Transmission 2.94. Transmission regularly maxes out our 'net service both up and down. I've noticed that I get better performance (maxing more often while the Mac is more responsive) by moving the torrents to external HDs.

- Dan.