Port not open using VPN

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
mpassosbr

Port not open using VPN

Post by mpassosbr »

Hi everybody. First message here.

I'm using Transmission 2.94 on MacOS High Sierra.

The thing is: when I'm not connected to my VPN provider (NordVPN), Transmission works pretty fine using any port (in the range recommended).

When I turn on VPN, the port is automatically closed.

I have made everything related to opening the ports, but the problem continues.

UPnP is enabled properly on router (Huawei E5172).

Firewall is off.

Funny fact: using qbittorrent and everything works fine, on or off VPN.

Any thoughts? Thanks a lot.

###############

"Informação" == "Information"
"Depuração" == "Debug"

2018-08-09 13:55:29 +0000 natpmp.c:70 [Informação] Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP): initnatpmp succeeded (0)
2018-08-09 13:55:29 +0000 natpmp.c:70 [Informação] Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP): sendpublicaddressrequest succeeded (2)
2018-08-09 13:55:29 +0000 upnp.c:239 [Depuração] Port Forwarding (UPnP): UPNP_GetValidIGD failed (errno 0 - Undefined error: 0)
2018-08-09 13:55:29 +0000 upnp.c:242 [Depuração] Port Forwarding (UPnP): If your router supports UPnP, please make sure UPnP is enabled!
2018-08-09 13:55:29 +0000 port-forwarding.c:92 [Informação] Port Forwarding: State changed from "Not forwarded" to "Starting"
2018-08-09 13:55:37 +0000 natpmp.c:75 [Depuração] Port Forwarding (NAT-PMP): readnatpmpresponseorretry failed. Natpmp returned -7 (the gateway does not support nat-pmp); errno is 61 (Connection refused)
2018-08-09 13:55:37 +0000 port-forwarding.c:92 [Informação] Port Forwarding: State changed from "Starting" to "???"
2018-08-09 13:55:56 +0000 tr-dht.c:260 [Depuração] DHT: Finished bootstrapping
joaomroenorf

Re: Port not open using VPN

Post by joaomroenorf »

Same problem. Curiously I'm from Brazil and I'm using NordVPN.
magma

VPN Port forward

Post by magma »

I also took the plunge with a VPN service as well - becoming cost effective and necessary!

My existing port forward scheme for en0 from router did not work for L2TP & utun. I found out that most VPN services close ports with firewall.

I discovered that my service had port 443 open (the only one). Used this for peer port listening (random and UPnP off) and green light! Confirmed with canyouseeme.org that indeed open.

But... Still had a problem. Got error "couldn't bind port to 443 on 10.10.10.2: permissions denied". On MacOS and other UNIX systems, ports below 1024 are not allowed. I am not sure how to allow permissions. Routing table? I could use someone to point me in the right direction - power users out there?

I am sending a request to my VPN provider to determine if they have another open port, or request to open one. You might have a provider that does this!
Maybe this is not a big deal (or not a priority for VPN providers?), I can still connect to peers, but as passive. Still good up and down.

I use Mac 10.12.6 built in LT2P and Tunnelblick for VPN connection and transmission 2.9.4
mpassosbr

Post by mpassosbr »

Thank you all for your help.

That's the problem. NordVPN answered me and they said that uploading torrents is not allowed in their system. Here's their answer:

"Additionally, please note that you cannot upload anything through a VPN. It is that way, to prevent any kind of abuses."

So, I'll try a new one. Tried ProtonVPN, but didn't work. Maybe IvacyVNP or CyberGhost, don't know yet.
mesYngr

Post by mesYngr »

Was there ever a resolution for @magma's situation?

I'm having a similar issue on an old macbook that is running MacOS 1.7.5, using Tunnelblick, and Transmission 2.9.4.

I set up Tunnelblick for VPN and I can access web, email, etc., but get no u/d in Transmission. Since Tunnelblick apparently uses 443 I set up the peer listening port to 443 as well.

I use Private Internet Access for the VPN service, but am not getting much help from them beyond the basic tutorial on how to set up Tunnelblick.

Thanks!
perkhaus

Post by perkhaus »

I spoke with NordVPN support a few days ago about this same issue. They do not allow torrent seeding, only downloads, so no port will ever be open using their service. So I switched to ExpressVPN which does work with uTorrent, but Transmission still does not work.

See: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=19964&p=78533#p78533
RebelGTP

Post by RebelGTP »

Have you looked into StrongVPN?

I use StrongVPN in my Windows environment where I have a Windows 8.1 Hyper-V instance running my torrents over VPN saving them on another Hyper-V Instance hosting my Plex Server (Private Virtual switch network between the two - probably a lot more complicated that it needs to be but that is not the issue here).

I will often set a particular torrent, if not many, to seed up to a 5.0 ratio after downloading if it is a popular torrent and the port stays open on StrongVPN as far as I can tell.