Transmission keeps on dying until full shutdown

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
deaconlight

Transmission keeps on dying until full shutdown

Post by deaconlight »

Not a hardware issue, happened on both osx I have. Maybe router related?

Transmission just 'shuts down'. The interface is responsive but no command is sent (no pause, no verify, no resume, no transmissions up&down, nada)

The only way to restore it is to erase the org.m0k.transmission.plist file in ~/Library/Preferences/, shutdown, and then it works for a while after the boot but it gets locked again.

Tried a full erase and reinstall. Just put back the files in ~/Library/Application Support/Transmission to resume downloads. Happened again.

Only way to restore for a while is to erase the preference file, whats going on?

On Sierra right now, Transmission is latest version (tried the nightly, same as above).

Thanks
deaconlight

Re: Transmission keeps on dying until full shutdown

Post by deaconlight »

A few more details:

On my previous osx, this bug would occur after about 5 hours with transmission open and it would completely kill the whole internet access until full shutdown (and as in now, it doesn't really shutdown, osx stays with that spinning loader in a dark screen and I have to manually shut it down).

Now this happens randomly but it only blocks transmission itself, the internet keeps on working normally, but the system won't shutdown completely, have to manually shut it down as above.

The torrent disk has some decent free space.

How can I even debug this? Any process I can restart/kill? Any way to track this in a transmission log or system log?
I like transmission and most of the time its flawless but this error is HIDEOUS!!
deaconlight

Re: Transmission keeps on dying until full shutdown

Post by deaconlight »

By elimination, other than Transmission itself, the only thing in common with my other setup in those machines were the harddrive that I have one extFAT partition I use for torrenting.

Removing all files, formating the partition to extFAT again seems to have solved the issue. Transmission is now working for days without a single fault.

I still don't understand how a disk issue (a partition issue, the checks shows no problem with the disk) would render into a network issue.

Cheers.