"seeding complete" when it is no such thing

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
RootlessAgrarian

"seeding complete" when it is no such thing

Post by RootlessAgrarian »

This is a strange behaviour, or so it seems to me, but maybe it's how Transmission is supposed to work? I finally figured out how to implement idle timeouts, or I thought I had anyway! I turned on "stop seeding when inactive for 30 minutes."

What I thought this would do: stop trying to seed a torrent that is not being demanded by anyone (for 30 minutes in a row) and try some other torrents, so that my limited budget of seed connections would all be active. It bugs me to see slots in my torrent queue occupied for ages by idle seeding operations, while others wait their turn to seed but are -- as I understand it, dimly -- not even advertised to leechers because idle seeding operations are hogging the queue.

What this option actually appears to do: it appears to have stopped seeding permanently if the torrent is inactive for 30 minutes! so any torrent that was inactive for 30 minutes has been marked "Seeding complete" even though it may never have seeded any data yet. This was very puzzling to me :-) (Whoa, 90 pct of my torrents have completed seeding? that's flatly impossible!)

Clearly I didn't understand the meaning of this option in Preferences. Is there any way I can instruct Transmission to (temporarily) abandon long-idle (stalled) seeding activity and let other torrents have a chance? Can I advertise everything all at once even if I don't have enough bandwidth for more than N leecher connections? Sorry if this is a stupid question, I'm far from knowledgeable about how BT really works. I just use it to DL cool stuff and then try to pay it back at least 2:1, sometimes more.