Transmission Big Sur Issues

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
mcescher78

Transmission Big Sur Issues

Post by mcescher78 »

After updating to Big Sur I have noticed some weird behavior with my Transmission client.

Upon launching Transmission everything appears normal. I can see upload and download activity registering. When I check the port used in the settings it shows as open/green. After about 2 minutes all traffic seems to stop and no signs of upload or download occurring. When I go back and check the port status it now says closed/red. I can restart the client and activity will resume...the port will show open...and then it will stop again after a few minutes and the port will show it is now closed.

The port number used has remained the same for years. I have it forwarded in my router settings. No other changes have been made to my network.

Any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks!
eugenios

Re: Transmission Big Sur Issues

Post by eugenios »

Hi everyone,
the same is happening to my iMac.
I installed Big Sur by updating from Mojave.
I use Little Snitch upgraded to version 5.0.2 and the firewall of macOS is active.
eugenios

Post by eugenios »

eugenios wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:10 pm Hi everyone,
the same is happening to my iMac.
I installed Big Sur by updating from Mojave.
I use Little Snitch upgraded to version 5.0.2 and the firewall of macOS is active.
Enabling µTP in preferences solves the issue.
hamah

Post by hamah »

Not sure if I'm hijacking this thread and should start my own or not.

My Big Sur issue is different and more intrusive. I suspect Transmission eventually wedges the network stack in Big Sur causing extreme system slowdown to the point it is difficult/impossible to close any app using network connectivity and eventually I can't even close system preferences, activity monitor, etc. and must restart the system. When this happens it can take many minutes to even restart. This happens 100% of the time and ran fine under Catalina. I noticed this behaviour on day one but it took me days to narrow down the issue to Transmission. Is anyone else seeing this?
SkippyVanOakes

Post by SkippyVanOakes »

I'm now getting "port closed" from Transmission. At first after installing Big Sur, the port was showing as open in Transmission, but external trackers were showing it as closed. My router shows it being forwarded. The only thing that changed was upgrading from Catalina to Big Sur.
preacher

Post by preacher »

It was working fine on Big Sur on an Intel Mac Mini (2014), I now installed it on a M1 Mac Mini and experiencing the closed port issue... it runs fine for a few minutes, then stops and you can only quit and reopen the app to make it work again (only for a few minutes, of course)
preacher

Post by preacher »

eugenios wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:16 pm Enabling µTP in preferences solves the issue.
I already have it enabled, doesn't work for me
preacher

Post by preacher »

I just noticed that reducing the overall number of transfers seems to solve the issue
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

I have this issue too. All torrents transfers die after 1 or 2 minutes of starting Transmission. Using Big Sur.

EDIT: It seems that bringing the total list of torrents in Transmission's list to <10 fixes the issue. But this isn't a great solution.
Smith987

Post by Smith987 »

I meant to revisit this thread and update it. In my case the issue seems to be Little Snitch. There is a known issue with LS version 5.0.2 working on Big Sur 11.0.1. I'm not sure if the issue is Little Snitch or Big Sur (LS support seems to suggest the issue is resolved under Big Sur 11.1). I've uninstalled LS for now and my system seems stable now.
seism1c

Post by seism1c »

fiddlesticks wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 8:21 pm I have this issue too. All torrents transfers die after 1 or 2 minutes of starting Transmission. Using Big Sur.

EDIT: It seems that bringing the total list of torrents in Transmission's list to <10 fixes the issue. But this isn't a great solution.
Reducing the number of downloads to <10 fixes for me too. Agreed, not an ideal solution.

For what it's worth, also using Little Snitch (5.0.4) on Big Sur (11.2.1). Hoping this gets resolved in the near future.
xske

Post by xske »

seism1c wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:11 pm Hoping this gets resolved in the near future.
I hope so too!!

Thank you
fuzy

Post by fuzy »

Same issue here just after upgrading to Big Sur from Mojave. As soon as I start transmission the port is closed. I do not use Little Snitch. All parameters and programs I use are the same as in Mojave when there were no problems at all. BS did it.
WIll the Transmission team be able to fix that? Soon? Five months have past since the original post and that seems a long time to respond to this problem.

Have any of you switched to an alternate BT client that works?

Cheers!
tacobot

Post by tacobot »

hamah wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:12 pm Not sure if I'm hijacking this thread and should start my own or not.

My Big Sur issue is different and more intrusive. I suspect Transmission eventually wedges the network stack in Big Sur causing extreme system slowdown to the point it is difficult/impossible to close any app using network connectivity and eventually I can't even close system preferences, activity monitor, etc. and must restart the system. When this happens it can take many minutes to even restart. This happens 100% of the time and ran fine under Catalina. I noticed this behaviour on day one but it took me days to narrow down the issue to Transmission. Is anyone else seeing this?
I felt the same about creating a new post or not, glad (?) I saw your comment.
I'm having the exact same issue as as you. Intel/MBP/BigSur (11.2.3) and Transmission (3.0).

Loading a torrent or two seems to work and download starts, but if I try to pause or remove a torrent from Transmission it freezes (beach balls). Force closing doesn't work and eventually the whole system slows to a crawl requiring a full reboot. I haven't attempted to load more than three torrents.

Transmission had been rock solid and ran for days with no issues when my MBP was running Mojave.

Any updates on this? Can anyone suggest a decent alternative client? Trying to do something with the Transmission UI shouldn't bring down my whole system.
cadoten306

Post by cadoten306 »

What is happening!?
Nothing for months, nothing on GitHub as an issue, Tranmission is UNUSEABLE!