How does seeding queue work? Puzzled

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
RootlessAgrarian

How does seeding queue work? Puzzled

Post by RootlessAgrarian »

I thought that the queue worked kinda like this: S torrents are seeding, and W torrents are waiting to seed. When one of the seeding group stalls, after a certain elapsed time T, Transmission gives up on it and checks those waiting to seed, to find out if there is demand for one of them right now.
Then it switches on an in-demand one and idles the stalled one. So it tries to be seeding all the time, if possible.

And I thought that "mark torrent as Stalled after T minutes" was the mechanism that enabled this, in Preferences.

But clearly I have it all wrong. Because I have some 200 torrents seeding right now, and when I turned on the "stalled" timeout feature, they all went Stalled (every single one of them!) and there was zero seeding going on. When I turned off "Stalled" in Preferences, seeding resumed.

So I am keeping it turned off!

I did try googling a bit for descriptions of how it's supposed to work and how to tune it, but maybe I haven't found the right page (or out of date pages) because so far, I'm not understanding what that Stalled option in Preferences is meant to do.

Bottom line is, it seems to me Transmission is not trying hard enough to make sure it is always seeding whenever possible, which means that my seeding rate is lower than I would like it to be, which means it takes forever to pay back my debt to society and keep my ratio up above 1.0 -- right now it's below 1.0 which embarrasses me. Any insights? can I make it seed more aggressively?