Holy failed data, Batman! 1.06+ (5179); OSX 10.5.2.

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
mimble

Post by mimble »

So is there any fix other than to download the latest and greatest update? I've just gotten the nightly. I clicked the verify button, but it started it all from the beginning again, now I'm back to 4.09mb out of 701.1mb.

My stats are:
Have: 4.23mb (3.09mb verified
Down: 500.3mb
Up: 531.2mb
Failed: 130.9mb

It's so confusing - I'm new to all this.
Jethryn Freyman

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

Read through here regarding the lost data from "Verify local data":
http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?t=2748
Jethryn Freyman

Here is the same torrent a day later, with r5334:

"Have" has increased by 70MB, verified data has increased by 270MB, and I have 144MB more failed download.

Although I "Have" more data now, my progress (percentage) has gone down (by 0.07%.)

I added 5 new torrents yesterday, today none of them have any failed download.
Jethryn Freyman

Using Transmission r5342.
After 5 minutes of downloading, I had another 30MB of failed download (even though I only downloaded around 4MB.)

I tried the official 1.06 release, ran it overnight, no issues there.

Here's the trac ticket:
http://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/781

It's marked as closed, though there still seems to be a problem.

Seems that this could possibly be a weird mix of the problem stated at the beginning of this thread and the good old "checking existing data fails" bug. Transmission is discarding good data, but not when checking data. Maybe Transmission is appending newly downloaded data onto existing incomplete pieces, and for some reason it is then marking the whole piece as bad or corrupt.

Only seems to be one one torrent though. A smaller torrent (150MB) that I added on r5342 completed without any drama.

Old checking existing data bug:
http://forum.transmissionbt.com/viewtopic.php?t=2748
publicfacing

Post by publicfacing »

Jethryn, could there be some weird peculiarity with that torrent?

Is the swarm poisoned? Possible, especially if its public.

Did you have it in Transmission before you updated to the builds fixing this issue? Perhaps there's some odd peculiarity that causes the bug to persist on "legacy" torrents.

I don't mean to disregard your problem, but as other people are having no troubles and you yourself said "Only seems to be one one torrent though", perhaps it's just the torrent?
Jethryn Freyman

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:33 am Post subject: Re: Holy failed data, Batman! 1.06+ (5179); OSX 10.5.2.
Jethryn, could there be some weird peculiarity with that torrent?

Is the swarm poisoned? Possible, especially if its public.
I considered this, but the torrents' working fine in r5129.
Did you have it in Transmission before you updated to the builds fixing this issue? Perhaps there's some odd peculiarity that causes the bug to persist on "legacy" torrents.
This is likely, but still r5129 doesn't seem to be affected.

I'll run the torrent as well as a new one on the latest nightly today and see how it goes.
Jordan
Transmission Developer

Post by Jordan »

Jethryn: I'm not seeing this problem anymore, so I'm at a loss as to what could be causing it.

Could you maybe test a sampling of builds post-r5129 and try to find out when this problem started occurring?
sydcage

Post by sydcage »

Seeing that we are still talking about this, I though I'd chime in with my stats. If I do have any failed DL it will usually fall below .25%. That is since the 1.06 time frame.
Jethryn Freyman

Haven't lost any more data, Transmission was probably flushing out some data which was corrupted by the bug in the earlier version.

Good work on fixing it :)
eisa01

Post by eisa01 »

OK, Running the 1.10 release.

My mac just had a kernel panic. I had downloaded about 4 % of a torrent. When I restarted Transmission wanted to check the data again. It turned out only 0.04 % was good.

Isn't it so that Transmission only reports the downloaded amount to the tracker when the data has been verified? If so, then Transmission is bugged somewhere, because the tracker said I had downloaded 4 % just fine.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

Clearly Kernel Panics are not going to have a positive impact on things. Transmission lost the data because the computer died before it could be verified.
eisa01

Post by eisa01 »

If that's the case, then this item from 0.90 is broken:
+ Only report downloaded, verified good pieces in tracker `download' field
Or..

The torrent had been going for 5 hours and had 90 MB downloaded, and Transmission had never flushed the data to the disk, which is even more broken.

edit: That last one may actually be the case. I just paused the torrent meaning to check the file in Azureus, and Transmission started writing heavily to the disk. It must have written the 25 MB of the 2.2 GB file

edit2: Heh, I didn't check it in Azureus after all, but just resumed it in Transmission. Now my "Have" says 25 MB and "Downloaded" 23.4 MB
Einkoro

Re: Holy failed data, Batman! 1.06+ (5179); OSX 10.5.2.

Post by Einkoro »

After upgrading to 1.42 a few days ago my torrents have been unable to progress at all. The failed data seems to be going up up and away and nothing else. Failed DL even exceeds Downloaded? Here is the stats from one:

Tried upgrading to 1.50b4 yesterday and I am still having the same problem. Unfortunately I can't remember what version I was using before upgrading to 1.42 that worked fine. Probably 1.40

OS X 10.4.11

Edit: Seems all the ones having problems with failed DL are on the same tracker. Presumably a tracker issue?
Einkoro

Post by Einkoro »

Looks like its not a tracker issue as other torrents on different trackers are also having the same problem now. :(
Einkoro

Post by Einkoro »

Tried 1.50 final and still having the same problem on lots of other trackers as well. Going back to 1.40 and no issues with failed data. Any ideas?