"Error: File too large" message

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
Rubthesmurf

"Error: File too large" message

Post by Rubthesmurf »

Hey all, i have recently been experiencing issues with the newest version of transmission where medium sized files (7.92gb) have been causing me problems. The file begins to download, at a pretty slow rate then displays the error message "Error: File to large," and immediately stops downloading. :? This issue has occurred on several different files from different trackers and I have no idea how to solve this problem. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
rpsx

Post by rpsx »

hello, i would like to second this request. i am having the same problem suddenly. this is with 1.11 (5504). seems to be no way to force it to go. with a 4.37G file. there is about 20G free on the drive i am downloading it to.

thanks!
Jethryn Freyman

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

Which version of OS X are you using ?
You could try updating to the latest nightly version of Transmission and see if the error persists.
rpsx

Post by rpsx »

hello. i tried 1.11+ (5640), but it still gives the same error. still, if i restart it, after about 50k bytes, it stops again as before.

BUT, i tried something different - i was saving this to an external drive before, and it would give me the error. however, just now, i tried saving it to the internal drive, and it seems to be working okay. SO, i get this error only when saving to an external drive. hopefully that helps. also, the external drivce is fat32 formatted (came that way, and i didn't notice). maybe that is confusing the system as it is a 4.37GB file?

oh, and just so you know, transmission is the best. simple, and works effortlessly. i like it.
Rubthesmurf

Post by Rubthesmurf »

Yea i tried the same and its working now, weird that it won't save a file slightly large on the external though..
rpsx

Post by rpsx »

i think i can confirm, it must be a fat32 issue. i cleared out some room an an old firewire drive, that is mac os extended formatted, and the file also downloads fine to this.

the only odd thing to me is, i have larger then 2gb files on the fat32 drive. so, not sure what is wrong. hopefully this info helps!
Jethryn Freyman

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

the external drivce is fat32 formatted
The largest an individual file can be under FAT32 is 4GB.

To support bigger files, you'll need to reformat it (HFS+ is the standard OS X format.)
Some114

Re: "Error: File too large" message

Post by Some114 »

Hey guys. I hope you are still subscribed to this thread. I have a problem that you guyshave had. I'm ok the most recent version of osx and of transmission 1.71 and I don't remember what is In parenthesis. So I'm trying to download a file that is about 20 gigs. When the message first came up, I redownloaded it but to my external harddrive with 160 gigs open. I kept getting the error message. Now It says error and I hit resumes download and it'll download 1 mb more before saying error. I've downloaded roughly 30 mb of 20 gb. Lol. At first I thight it was because I was downloading two other files. Both about 500 mb. So when those finished I thought it would be okay. But my one file kept saying "error: file too large".

Thanks!