Transmission causes leopard slow death

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
r0n1n

Re: Transmission causes leopard slow death

Post by r0n1n »

Inuyasha wrote:Using the latest nightlies, Transmission still causes an enormous buildup of inactive memory, and depending on I/O levels that can cause freezing of the main TM process, and the OS writes/reads to the RAM cache like crazy. The client also takes 5-10 minutes to quit.

(I've typed this same exact thing like 50 times over two years)

OSX 10.6.4 with networking chipset: 13:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 03)
Maybe the devs can add an option to increase the disk cache size? Currently, the nightly builds are using a 2MB cache. It would be nice to have an option to increase the cache size (especially if you have a fast download speed.).
Longinus00

Post by Longinus00 »

r0n1n wrote:
Inuyasha wrote:Using the latest nightlies, Transmission still causes an enormous buildup of inactive memory, and depending on I/O levels that can cause freezing of the main TM process, and the OS writes/reads to the RAM cache like crazy. The client also takes 5-10 minutes to quit.

(I've typed this same exact thing like 50 times over two years)

OSX 10.6.4 with networking chipset: 13:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller [10ec:8168] (rev 03)
Maybe the devs can add an option to increase the disk cache size? Currently, the nightly builds are using a 2MB cache. It would be nice to have an option to increase the cache size (especially if you have a fast download speed.).
Disk cache won't reduce inactive memory.
benmc

Post by benmc »

This thread seems to go on forever....

I've actually just started having this issue with the last release that came out a month or so ago. Seems fine with one torrent, but have two and the mac loses it. I can't force quit Transmission (either via the dock of via a command in Terminal). Once I do try and force quit it, the rest of the system just falls appart until I have to power off the machine and boot it back up.

This issue is specific to the latest release of Transmission. It was running flawlessly before that. It seems ok with 1 torrent, but anything over 2 seems to kill it. And the more torrents you have, the sooner it dies.
benmc

Post by benmc »

Hmm perhaps I shouldn't have posted this issue here, however, the symtom is the same.

I'm saying this is a bug which has only just been introduced. Same machine, auto updated has only just starting having this issue. I'm not demanding support, I'm just passing this on. It might just be specific to me, but this machine pretty much does nothing else but run this and the only recent change has been the install of the latest version when prompted.
ryanrhee90

Post by ryanrhee90 »

The problem actually isn't with transmission -- it's a bug in lookupd coupled with a bug in crashreporterd, AFAIK.

Here's a link. http://archive.macfixitforums.com/ubbth ... s/300266/6
It's painfully slow to load, since it's an archive, but it describes all these symptoms.

It's an old article so they're using tiger. I'll test to see if the behavior is consistent in Snow.
ryanrhee90

Post by ryanrhee90 »

For me, the error was somewhere hidden in my profile. Whatever the problem was, I resolved it by deleting my user account and using a new one. Hope this helps someone.

-R
isisism

Post by isisism »

I was just going to switch to Transmission from uTorrent, now this thread is making me think twice about that. I'd rather live without a certain option than start having problems and having to delete user accounts etc...

So it's not stable for OS X 10.6.7? What will happen when Lion comes out? Actually, by then I should have built my HTPC and will be using that for torrents, but in the meantime... is it safe to switch over or not?
isisism

Post by isisism »

John Clay wrote:I've been debating posting this, given the back and forth and number of useless commments in this thread.

For the majority of users, this is going to be a hardware problem with the Yukon ethernet chipset on the logic board. I've had it happen twice to my iMac, and each time a logic board replacement solves the problem. In conversation with Apple, they agree that the Yukon errors being spat out in the Console are indicative of a hardware fault.

Currently running 10A432 on two computers, with zero issues torrenting 24/7.
Okay, so how can I tell if I have the Yukon chipset? I don't usually get under the hood too much on Macs. Use them for work and use pc for play but my pc died so Mac is for play also right now.

This is what I see under my System Info:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro3,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.6 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP31.006C.B05
SMC Version (system): 1.25f4

ethernet:

Type: Ethernet Controller
Bus: PCI
Vendor ID: 0x8086
Device ID: 0x1096
Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x8086
Subsystem ID: 0x3499
Revision ID: 0x0001
Link Width: x4
BSD name: en0
Kext name: AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext
Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleIntel8254XEthernet.kext
Version: 2.1.1b7