Unspecified I/O error

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
MK

Unspecified I/O error

Post by MK »

I have this recurring problem with two torrents only. They are stuck at 99.72% and 100% respectively. In detail that means the former has five files left with 99.61, 99.92, 99.73, 99.57 and 99.93 % respectively and the latter has one file left at 99.99%.

If I restart these two they go for a while, and the 100% gives me a certain speed and counts down to being finished and stops at less than a minute left. The 99.72% does indeed move towards 100% between each stop.

Suddenly they both will give me this "Unspecified I/O error" and either goes to pause, and can be made active again, or crashes Transmission 1.10 (release).

Anyone knows what could be behind the "Unspecified I/O error"? How could I go on about solving it?
rickeo

Post by rickeo »

Same problem, hoping i can get a fix. I have a 10GB file @ 99.99%. It starts to DL for a second then it hangs with a beachball for about 2 seconds then the torrent pauses and i get the Unspecified I/O error.

MK, are your torrents with the issues from a private tracker? Mine is, but other torrents from the same tracker work fine.
Jethryn Freyman

Post by Jethryn Freyman »

What version of OS X and Transmission are you using?
rickeo

Post by rickeo »

10.5.2 and 1.11 (5504)
MK

OS X version is 10.4.8

Post by MK »

I'm on 10.4.8 and use Transmission 1.10 (5422).

Noone have any ideas for this kind of problem?
MK

the tracker is public

Post by MK »

Rickeo, they are both from the same high profile public tracker and numerous other torrents from the same tracker work fine and have done so for a long time.

There are several seeders on one of these two. I have currently 18 connections on the less full of these, of which 4 are PEX and 4 are cache, and on the almost complete there 6 connections made, all tracker. For the moment it's only the latter that keep getting this error, the other keeps working upwards 100%.
I'll see what will happen when it's nearing 100%.

Any ideas on how to search logs or similar for clues? Should I listen in on the traffic? I'm not sure on what ports to look so I better turn off all other traffic.
MK

Update: d/l seem to stop when closing to 100%

Post by MK »

The first of my 2 problem torrents, which has only one file stuck at 99.99% has not had that file updated since 2nd of April. So it does seem stuck.

The other, which is currently at 99.68%, updates its files so far.

I ran debug logs and got some results: It seems Transmission is the process and the message in the logs is "generic i/o errno from errno: input/output error". Also indicated is that both torrents are getting peers. Tracker response is OK

The error recurs every few minutes, especially in the near 100% torrent.

I will probably be going to another client now, as this is not working.....
Jethryn Freyman

MK: Try updating OS X to 10.4.11 and Transmission to the latest nightly version.
MK

Post by MK »

I can't update to 10.4.11 as many of my current main applications have problems after 10.4.8. What in 10.4.11 could be related to this kind of problem and why would the problems be limited to only 2 specific torrents?

I have already updated to Transmission 1.11 and will try a nightly version. I'm not holding my breath however. :-)
laurion

Post by laurion »

Seeing a similar problem with 1.10 on 10.5.2. Running a check of local data, will run DiskUtil and see if that helps.
livings124
Transmission Developer

Post by livings124 »

1.20 is out, so 1.10 will no longer be supported.
Jethryn Freyman

many of my current main applications have problems after 10.4.8
Unfortunately, 10.4.8 isn't supported by the Transmission developers. Make sure that this software is fully updated, I don't know of any software myself that supports 10.4.8 and not 10.4.11.

For Transmission 1.20, the system requirements are now OS X 10.4.11 and Security Update 2008-002.
laurion

Post by laurion »

Yeah, that was a typo on my part, I meant to say 1.20, which I'd just downloaded and installed over 1.0, because auto-update apparently broke somewhere in there.

Anyhow, more to the point, it was a dirty disk. Single user mode and fsck fixed it, apparently.
tonymc

Post by tonymc »

so, someone could help me please?
tonymc

Post by tonymc »

Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error Unspecified I/O error ... to the infinite.... somebody could help me please? :oops: