Permission Denied

Ask for help and report issues with the Mac OS X version of Transmission
ckeene

Re: Permission Denied

Post by ckeene »

ignatz wrote:
zuhairnaqvi wrote:In case the "ignore ownership..." option doesn't work, there is one more reason this could be happening (cos it was happening to me). In the "preferences" menu, I had indicated a particular folder for "keep incomplete files in..." However, i was trying to download files into a different folder! It gave exactly the same "Permission Denied" message.

Easy and obvious fix was to ensure i'm downloading to the same folder as the one specified above.

Hope this helps.
It did. Thanks! By explicitly setting the 'Keep incomplete files' folder to be the same as the download folder (Preferences > Transfers > Adding tab), the problem disappeared.

This started happening when the external disc that I download to to got switched off accidentally during a transfer. I also notice that this thread has been going on for three years… Time to make Transmission a little more robust in this regard?

thanks, ignatz. the 'keep incomplete files' suggestion worked for me.
using Transmission 2.82 on OS X 10.9.1.
edaemus

Post by edaemus »

It has something to do with the way Transmission keeps the incomplete files - seems for some reason it has to create its own dedicated volume to store the temporary files in. So when you go to /Volumes and see "[external HDD] 2", it's there on purpose.
The problem arises when the permissions get muddled somehow - but it's easily fixed. Get Info (cmd+i) for "[external HDD] 2", and set the permission for "everyone" to "Read and Write". Re-add the torrent, and it should work. It'll verify the data, and then continue downloading.
mongpa

Post by mongpa »

MATERIALS USED:
Mac OS 10.9.5
Transmission 2.84

erikku3000, thank you very much for that. The problem had been nagging me when I did the permissions change over a month ago. It went away immediately and has not come back.

Some comments:

- The ghostly dedicated volume mentioned by edaemus curiously has the number "3" after the name in my case ("[external HDD] 3"), although there is no number "1" or "2". (The real drive is visible too in /Volumes but has no number, of course : "[external HDD]".)

- Can't see why x190 is worried about the permissions on this ghost volume. I suppose if it held sensitive info in some way...
spacebar

Post by spacebar »

After trying all the solutions on this thread, I found a very neat and fast solution with a free utility called 'App Fixer'. Google it or go to the developers website, sqwarq.com.
TranTran

Post by TranTran »

I have been trying these solutions and although changing permissions on the EXTERNAL-1 drive to "read write" allowed the download to work, it has created a second problem.

I noticed that there were TWO instances of "Everyone" in the Permissions list. The one above said "custom" and the one below said "read + write." I changed the "custom" -- which I have NEVER seen before -- to "read + write."

Even after a computer restart, the /volumes says EXTERNAL-1 instead of EXTERNAL.

Also, the EXTERNAL drive does not appear on my list of "mountable" devices. So I cannot UNmount the drive !!!

How do I go back to this mysterious "Custom" Permission? It is not on the list which pops up.

This error should be displayed as "Need Permission to Write Data To [PATH]"
The existing wording could be interpreted to mean that the user needs to properly log in to the torrent site being used.
TranTran

Post by TranTran »

I got NEW downloads working again, but am still worried about the CUSTOM permission issue.

Also, all of my completed torrents have stopped seeding. This might be because while fooling around with the above problems, I moved data files into different places.

So the TORRENT files have lost their linkage to the DATA files.
How do I fix that?
I've tried dragging the TORRENT files back into Transmission, but they start DOWNLOADING again. I've then tried to MOVE DATA FILE but that does not work.

In fact, since some TORRENT files are just a string of gibberish, how can I select a DATA file and locate the filename of its TORRENT file ???
cashFromChaos

Post by cashFromChaos »

None of the suggestions here work for my external User folder, with "ignore permissions" active and no problems with other applications, didn't use "keep incomplete files in…" but set it to the same as my download folder and contents in question set to "777". Transmission is run from the external disk as well, though the system, OS X 10.11, itself is on the local disk.

There are no additional volumes.

I tried setting the download to the Users shared folder on the local disk, but this doesn't work either, also when set to "777".

I get "Permission Denied" and nothing is written to disk.